Chapter 14

Heels clicking against the tile, Clementine made her way across the kitchen. In her favorite skirt, blouse and blazer, she felt polished – ready for her first day of work. As she laid a hand on the doorframe, the diamond on her finger sparkled, the perfect finishing touch. A splash of light and color against the charcoal grey and blue tones of her outfit, it felt like an indulgence – a promise. "See you late this evening," she said, her heart wrenching a little.

She told herself she didn't want to leave Donovan alone because of his recent injuries, but deep down, she knew leaving him would've caused a twinge of regret in any case. They were newly-engaged and a charmed, selfish part of her wanted to spend the day focusing on that instead of her new job.

"See you," he said, setting down his coffee cup and standing, pushing his chair back from the table.

"Promise me you won't do anything crazy like try to drive," she said as he approached, looming over her in jeans and nothing else, making her heart beat fast beneath the buttoned-up front of her French-cuffed shirt.

"No driving," he agreed, stepping close enough that his bare torso brushed the front of her blazer. "I'll be here with something burnt on the table for dinner when you get back."

She smiled. "Let me know if you change your mind and want me to pick something up."

He pressed his mouth against hers, crushing her lips with a coffee-flavored kiss. She wore heels and he was in his bare feet, which reduced their height difference to a couple inches; he barely had to bend his neck. "I'm gonna miss you," he said, gripping her hip through her pencil skirt.

"Likewise." She grinned. "Now I know what I'll be day-dreaming about during my commute."

He frowned. "Keep your eyes and your mind on the road. Three hours round-trip during rush hour is already dangerous enough."

She laughed. "I'm supposed to be the one who's worried about you, remember?"

"Nothing to worry about." His breath rushed against her cheek, hot and tempting.

"Don't want to be late on my first day." She pulled away reluctantly.

He nodded. "Figure I'll give Hugh Jeffries a call while you're gone."

That thought brightened her outlook despite the fact that the kitchen windows revealed a leaden sky. Soon she wouldn't have to commute so far to work. "You can let me know how it goes when I give you a call during my lunch break."

"Bye, Clementine."

She took one last long look at him – everything from his sleep-mussed hair to the lines of muscle slashing in a V and disappearing beneath the waistband of his jeans – and opened the front door, telling him goodbye.

Outside, a cold breeze stole the heat of his kiss from her lips, chilling her through her blazer. The world still smelled like the rain that had fallen the day before, and the sky was the same color as Donovan's eyes.

* * * * *

"See you tomorrow morning," Clementine said, stepping onto the elevator.

Her new co-worker nodded, and the doors separated them. For a matter of hours, anyway. A long drive back to Willow Heights, a night with Donovan that would end too soon and she'd be back. After the period of unemployment she'd spent at Donovan's house, being back on a work schedule felt a little new. She'd get used to it quickly, though – she'd always been busy in New York.

Only now she had something more to go home to than a tiny apartment and a pair of equally frazzled roommates. The thought made her smile as the elevator reached the lobby level.