Chapter Eight

Thank you for being patient with me while I've been busy with the holidays. It means more than words will ever describe! I honestly have the best readers and followers :) <3

Enjoy my loves! :)

______

         I stood in the mirror, looking at the soon to be warrior, my heart beating against my chest. Today was the final day of testing, which meant that it was my first time to hunt alone and kill a beast, left in the wilderness of the Forbidden Lands. Swallowing the lump that was forming in my throat, I sat with my back straightened like that of a strong branch to help an elder walk. My mother sat behind me, braiding my hair and placing the war paint and bands onto my arms and shoulders, preparing me for my presentation. The tribe had moved from Mother Tree for the week to allow us the chance to prepare enough time to make it to the Forbidden Lands, home of the Witches and Seeing Walkers.

         "Are you nervous, my child?" I heard a soft voice ask behind me. Looking over my shoulder, I came to look at my mother, who had aged a few moons because of her fear for me in the testing. Her green eyes that she had passed down to me were slightly wrinkled at the corners, her cheeks having the lines from smiling and singing around the tribe day after day. Though my Father was not one to show emotion, I saw him stand behind my mother with a prideful look on the darkened skin of his face. Black eyes complemented him with a dark braid that flowed down his back. He had taught my instructor Maketis everything that his Father had taught him. And now, after years of protecting the tribe and teaching us the ways of fighting and good, he had passed down the title to Maketis.

        "Of course she would be nervous, Neffra." my Father -Rukoos- said with a chuckle. I had been moved into my own hut after starting my teachings, and it was the first time in several months that I had stepped inside my old Family tent that was used for long travel. Mother Tree was strong around us at home, holding us and keeping the comfort of her spirit alive like the warmth of the suns. But here, on the outskirts of the Forbidden Lands, her warmth was not here with us. Though, as the wind blew the stretched hid of the beasts of the land to create the tent, I somehow felt her with us here. The normal hammock for sleeping was left back in their hut, with a smaller hammock tied in the tent to secure the body while sleeping. "But, we both know that she will do well today." he said again, the smile on his face growing ever so slightly. And that was all the encouragement that I needed to succeed.

        "My thanks, Father." I spoke softly before bowing my head to him in respect. But, what surprised me, was when he came to sit in front of me on his knees and kissed my forehead. Affection was not something that my Father was known for, but the kiss was worth more than gold or rare jewels. Tears burned in the back of my eyes, but I quickly lowered my gaze to him. "I am not ready for you to leave, Father. Perhaps Maketis would be alright with waiting another Silver Moon before being handed the staff." I whispered, my heart skipping a beat.

        "Oh, my Vixas." he said with a sigh. "We all must leave this world, for death is inevitable. But, just because my physical being is no longer here, it does not mean that I will not be by your side always. I will stay until you have finished your task, and we will celebrate with great joy and large fires." he said with a small smile. I nodded, looking at him slowly. "Do not be upset, child. Today is a good day, and you shall excel in all things that you do." he kissed my forehead once more before standing and leaving the tent, long strides determined for his destination.

        "I will miss him too, my child." Mother whispered behind me before standing and placing our foreheads together, moving it slightly to the sides in a comforting manner. I smiled and did the same before wrapping my arms around her in a tight hold. I didn't want to let go, for I felt like I was not ready to walk into this new part of my life. Teachings are all that I have known for many, many moons. And now, they are at a close. And I find myself... terrified. Not just for moving forward in life, but moving forward without my Father.