Chapter 33

"Thank you, Carlisle," said Esme as she climbed back into the car.

"You're welcome, Es," he replied as he sped off down the driveway.

"I can't believe I forgot."

"I shouldn't have rushed you. I thought you had said goodbye to her though. I'm sorry."

"No worries, Carlisle. Let's get this show on the road, shall we?"

"Your wish is my command, milady," he replied, leaning across the console to give her a kiss. They held hands and drove out of Forks. A little while later, Esme broke the silence.

"Do you think Amelia's alright?"

"That only lasted ten minutes," Carlisle chuckled, "She'll be just fine, Esme. Samantha is with her, Alair is on standby, Blythe is spending the night and Dr Westsmythe will be called in the event of an emergency. Edward and Rosalie both have medical degrees. And that is just from a medical perspective. All of the kids are home and they will be keeping an eye on her. She needs her space too, I worry sometimes that we are helicopter parents because we hover too much."

"I'm going to call Rosalie," Esme stated, fumbling for her cellphone. Carlisle took it from her hands and put it in the compartment in his door.

"Amelia is fine. She's asleep. Leave her be. Rosalie will keep an eye on her. Just let me spoil you this weekend, please?"

Esme frowned but heeded her husband's advice. Amelia would be fine. They fell into companionable silence for a few moments.

"How did we get so lucky? The kids get on so well, it's hard to remember that a month ago Amelia was not officially part of the family. It's like she was never not a part of our family," Esme spoke again.

"I agree. She fits in so well. She was meant to be a Cullen."

"I miss her already. My baby girl is all alone," wailed Esme.

"Esme, she is going to be fine. You can phone her later, she's probably still sleeping. She's not alone. Just survive tonight and tomorrow night and we can leave early on Sunday, ok? Please love, it's your birthday. Let me spoil you."

---

"Wake up, Mia bug!" exclaimed Alice, bouncing up and down Amelia's bed in excitement. Amelia awoke with a start. She blinked sleepily at her sister, frowned, and then rolled over.

"Alice!" groaned Amelia, as Alice pulled off the covers in an attempt at further rousing Amelia from her slumber.

"Alice, let me handle this," said Samantha, walking into Amelia's room and unceremoniously booting the clairvoyant out of the bedroom. She gently nudged the teenager and got her up, "It's time for afternoon PT and then we can get started on your homework."

"Okay Sam. What time is it?" queried Amelia, stifling a yawn as she slowly made her way to Carlisle's office.

"It's 2.30pm. You slept for more than two hours my dear," Samantha answered, acutely aware of Amelia's poor sleeping habits. Any time that Amelia could sleep undisturbed was a bonus.

"What? Wow."

Physio was the usual boring and tiring affair, and afterwards Samantha and Amelia sat down to finish her homework. Afterwards, at around 4pm, Amelia sat in the kitchen, snacking on an apple. Amelia vaguely heard Emmett and Rosalie pulling into the garage, then doors slamming and some familiar giggles. She frowned and looked towards the door. Four giggling teenagers walked in, armed with overnight bags, squealing in excitement when they spied their friend.