Chapter 9

Blake was worried about Reggie. His brief phone call had only told him that things were likely to go wrong without him there. They had always been together, growing up together as two ordinary brothers. He could see now that with him in prison, Reggie was falling into sloppy decisions that would get him arrested. Or at least in a whole lot of trouble. He had always taken care of Reggie, despite their differences but it wasn't so easy when he was in prison and he was only just coming to that realization It wasn't easy to admit, but Reggie was on his own. And if that was the case, his brother was very likely to get killed. He couldn't let that happen.

Blake sat in his cell for a few hours, thinking about what he could do to help from inside prison. There wasn't a lot of choice but he had to do something. If not, Reggie would either be joining him or be in a pine box by the time he saw him next. Blake decided that since he was in prison, his only asset was that everyone around him was a criminal. So he took advantage of that. He began walking around the courtyard during their exercise time, to see who he could spot and who he could manipulate.

When he spotted the leader of an Irish gang, Seamus hanging around, smoking, he decided to approach him and see what use he would be. "You must be running low about now Seamus. You fancy making a trade?" Blake asked upfront, knowing fine well that he had a stash of cigarettes in his bunk for any trades he wanted to make. He wasn't sure yet, if he had enough to satisfy Seamus, as what he was asking was a big deal, but he hoped so. He didn't have much else to offer except his blood.

"Trade? What for?" Seamus was intrigued, but not enough to agree right away. Blake was always a slippery customer and no-one really liked him. But no-one knew what to do with him either. He was slimy enough to do whatever they asked of him, under the right terms. And slimy enough to double cross anyone in favor of someone with more leverage. Seamus wasn't entirely worried. After all, no-one had as much pull in the yard as he did and Blake would have to be suicidal to cross him.

"My little brother Reggie has got himself in a fix on the outside. I need someone to keep an eye on him so he doesn't get himself killed." Blake explained with a sight, leaning back against the mesh fence beside Seamus. They were both trying to look casual, like they were having an ordinary conversation so that no-one on either's side thought anything was wrong.

"You're asking an awful lot in return for a few smokes. What else do you have to offer?" Seamus queried, curious to see what he would say. Blake knew he was in at the deep end and had to tread carefully. He did not want to mess with Seamus.

"Isn't the question more, what do you want?" He retaliated quietly, sure that he was only sinking himself into a situation he wouldn't make it out of alive. But he had no other choice. There were very few people with the connections he needed to keep Reggie safe. And he hoped it wouldn't be for too long, just until Reggie got out of the country and away from Reed.

"Good boy. One of my boys is in a sticky wicket himself, you could help me deal with it. On the down low, as you boys say." Seamus explained that one of his crew had got in a bit of a fix. He was just barely out of his teens and he was getting some hassle in the showers from a notorious child abductor. Seamus had kept him protected so far, but the kid was getting nervous and no-one could keep an eye on him all the time. He had fought back a fair number of times, and got out unharmed but the kid snatcher, as Seamus called him, had always put him in the hospital. Seamus wanted an end to it.

"I need you to be my messenger. Can't get involved myself. Would look bad, you see. So you deliver my message and I'll take care of your brother." Seamus agreed, shocking Blake with the price he was going to have to pay. He knew fine well that Seamus was telling him that 'the message' was to put the kid snatcher himself into hospital, and maybe even make sure that if he did get his hands on an innocent kid again, he had no way to hurt them. He could only nod and agree.