♚46. BLISS (Part II)

Love is a portion of the soul itself, and it is of the same nature as the celestial breathing of the atmosphere of paradise

—Victor Hugo

J o r d y nT a m e

AS THE FORTUNETELLER and I made our way to the east in a long and excruciating walk, I began to ponder about the confounding information I had just received. Lexis' first mate was alive and though their bond was forever broken due to a spell, that didn't fail to trouble me.

If Vanessa was alive, where was she?

And now the necklace that Lexis had gifted me on his birthday apparently harbored a power so great that it was a formidable key in winning this war. To add on, the union knew of the necklace's power.

There were so many questions I still had, yet Qadira managed to convince me that what she revealed was all she knew. I was confused and shaken and the worst part was that I could not disclose any of this with Lexis. I mean, what would he even think? It would kill him. He blamed himself for a death that never even occurred.

"I don't get it," I spoke into the darkness. "When I was in the union's compound on the west, Rhona had seen the necklace. She asked me what it was and I lied telling her my mother had given it to me."

"Smart move..." Qadira comments. "If you would have told them otherwise, you would have risked them getting a hold of it."

"But still," I pressed. "If the union knows of this alleged powerful necklace, wouldn't they know what it looked like?"

"No," she answers. "The union only knows that it's a piece of jewelry...that's all they know. They don't know the shape of the stone nor the color. For all we know, they probably have given up in their search for it."

"I doubt that..." I say tightening the necklace in my hands. "I left it in the hut, didn't I? That's why you took us back there. How could I have been so careless?"

"Don't stress..." She soothes. "A lot has happened in the last few days..."

We continued to walk in silence. I bit my lip feeling my nervousness grow once again in the pit of my stomach. We were close. I could feel it.

"Do you think the pack's army has already reached the center of the east? Has the negotiation occurred yet? Do you believe the battle has started?" I ask.

Qadira gives me an exasperated look before a sudden clamorous explosion could be heard from afar. My ears popped and my body jerked to the ground.

Qadira falls to her knees to help me up and grabs a hold of me. Her mouth was moving but I could not hear what was being said.

"Jordyn! Jordyn!"

Her distressed calls were finally audible and I steadily, with her help, get back to my feet.