Chapter 8

I'm not one for listening. Dad is going to kill me, but I don't care.

I looked for an address, or any sign of where they could be keeping him. I left my phone at home and took a plane to Conneticut after paying some homeless man to drive me to the airport in my truck.

I'm not only doing this for me and my parents.

I'm doing this for Mr. Slater.

I'm doing this for Ben.

I told him I'd find his Mom.

All I've found out is why she left.

I could get to this place and have only found her body, but still I would have found her.

It's three in the afternoon the next day.

By now, they know I'm gone.

I'm using every resource to find this warehouse.

I bought a school bus just in case, and I've got my shotgun in back waistband of my jeans, in the back.

My skinny jeans are black, and I've got a black tank top on, and a pair of combat boots, and an army green jacket.

It has pockets, it ties around my waist, it has a collar, and it has a hood.

I worship this jacket.

I've done loads of searching, and I'm sure that I've found the right building.

I parked the bus three blocks away and I'm crouched in a bush, waiting for nightfall.

ALEX'S POV

Elizabeth is gone.

She took the truck and left.

We know where she went.

She's going after Geoffrey.

Stephen has been sitting, staring at the wall.

Odette is still okay. She's functioning, talking.

Ben is being quiet.

Mr. Slater is trying to talk to Stephen.

I'm just quiet, too.

I want to know what Stephen is thinking.

Mr. Slater and Odette are talking about the weather, and finally, Stephen speaks up.

"You guys realize that we're never going to see her again, right?" he asks. "She's going to get herself killed."

It clicks.

He's so quiet because he's mourning his daughter death.

Only, she's not dead yet.

I cringe.

Yet.

"I'm going after her." He stands up."

We all start arguing with him, but he wins, and instead of going alone, we all leave.

ELIZABETH'S POV

The instant the clock strikes midnight, I exit my bush and dart across the street.

The warehouse is abandoned, and there's no sign of life.

I see the exact spot that Harrold was murdered in, and I tiptoe around.

The windows aren't covered.

It's just a cement structure with no door or windows.

I wander around the floor, clueless, for a good two hours, and then I hear it.