14 | Leo

Homecoming

Homecoming.

Wherever I walked in this school, that word slipped out of someone's mouth.

I was never a proponent of most school functions, especially dances. I found it comical that they were just gatherings of the same people you saw everyday and even better, costed money to attend.

Maybe it would have meant more for me if I was on the football team, but I played almost as bad as the New York Jets' quarterback did.

I'd played for half a season when I was eight, by my father's persuasion. That was the only time I saw him have any interest in my sports. I was happy, not because I liked the sport, but when I looked up during my games, I could see him cheering in the stands, his focus only on me.

I quit when my coach told me the kicker passed better than I did.

The kicker.

I stuffed my hands into the pocket of my sweatshirt, letting out a small angry sigh as the open window let in another draft. It was a cloudy and blustery late October day, and according to the people in this class that had lived here all their lives, it was unseasonably cold.

That was the reason I didn't understand why Mr. Abrams kept all four of his windows open all day.

It seemed almost everything this teacher did was to spite his students.

Someone had a rough time in high school.

"Mr. Abrams," a chirpy voice began. It belonged to Kiana, who was the girl Santiago was making out with at the party. I discovered she was one of the most popular girls here—a cheerleader—and I understood why. She was pretty, with big, black curly hair and a white-toothed smile and seemed to be nice to everyone. I kind of liked prospect of her and Santiago together, but I couldn't pinpoint an exact reason. "Could I please close the windows? I don't want to be a bother, but I and many others here are pretty cold." Santiago looked at her with a smile, looking relieved she asked since he clearly wasn't going to.

He turned around from scribbling equations onto the board. "No," was all he answered. Really, man?

I resisted the urge to get up and close them myself, considering he had given me detention the month before and I still wasn't on his good side. I looked over at Emerson whose desk was by the window. She was wearing a thick sweater, yet it didn't to do much as her arms were folded taut across her chest and she leaned away from the window.

"As you all know, your biggest test of the semester is coming up next week," he began, leaning against his desk and staring us all down. He reached his arm behind him. "Therefore, I have compiled an eighteen page review due Monday."

Everyone's mouths dropped.

"But Mr. Abrams, tonight is homecoming," the girl sitting next to Kiana began. "And eighteen pages is so much."