T E N

T E N
Shots of Vodka

"THERE'S BEEN OTHER times?" Minnie gasped, eyes round as basketballs as she stared questioningly. "How? How did no one know of this, then?"

Lucius scowled deeply, his handsome features crinkling as he sneered. "Are you stupid enough to not figure that these guys aren't human? Monsters tend to have more than one victims. He's killed plenty before."

"You sure know a lot about them for someone that is actually human." I threw back, folding my arms across my chest, a single eyebrow raised as I eyed the three guys.

The look on my face was one of plain and pure accusation, but Lucius seemed to not take offense. Instead, he sighed, breathing out slowly as he glanced around the spacious room. It almost seemed as though he was afraid that someone would hear him. That was a ludicrous idea simply because even if someone did, the chances of them living long enough to escape this hell hole and rat him out was as good as zero.

In other words, there was nothing for him to worry about.

"That's because he's not," his friend answered for him.

The man had light brown hair, the color of summer's harvest mixed with soil. His eyes were a bold evergreen that stood out in the dark. Much like the other guy, both men had eyes that shone brightly like a thousand different constellations cluttered into one.

Honestly, the shock that was already coursing through my veins was enough to allow this little bit of information to barely even faze me. I could only nod mockingly, tilting my head to the side as I took a wary and quick glance at the clock. As of now, we had 25 more minutes of 'safe time' to find somewhere to hide for the night.

"And you are?"

"Cassiel. An old friend of Lucius's and of those four that are currently hunting you down, unfortunately." He replied with a slight frown, his bold eyebrows furrowed before slightly nodding towards his friend. "And this is Gabriel."

Gabriel nodded once in acknowledgment but otherwise kept quiet.

"What are you three, then? I don't believe that only Lucius is some other-world freak. What are they?" Bella, on the other hand, was practically exploding with questions. Her arms were flying about, voice a hushed version of a shout as she glared up at Lucius, her former friend; our formal friend.

"Those guys are a type of celestial beings." Sighing, Lucius perched himself on the bar counter, his hands fiddling around with the bands of gold on his fingers. "They are one of those myths that had been in existence for as long as time had prevailed. They are literally stories straight out of the bible. Ever heard of the four horsemen of the apocalypse?"

"Who actually reads the damn thing?" Bella snorted, eyes rolling sarcastically as she attempted to keep her voice in a softer tone. Cassiel snorted slightly at her statement, and that brought a small grin to Bella's face. To Bella's statement, however, Minnie shot a disapproving look.

"Don't make such an insensitive comment, Bella. Many people do actually read it. It is a religious item."

"Yeah, but you and I are both not one of them," Bella grumbled indignantly. Minnie, who stuck to her previous statement, only deepened her frown but said no more to argue.

"The four horsemen of the apocalypse." Murmuring under my breath, I began to pace back and forth, my mind in a whirl.

The names seemed much too familiar and having read the long dictionary-like piece from cover to cover as a child, I can safely say that I was better acquainted with the story as compared to my two idiot of friends.