Chapter 45

I nibbled on my breakfast as we sat in the back garden. At the moment, I was sitting in Aeria's lap. A low beeping sound made me turn my head. Taureen's wrist comm was flashing; I jumped up to the wide arm of the patio chair to peer down at it in curiosity. I never heard it make noise before. He pressed a few buttons and frowned at the display.

Aeria inquired, "Is something wrong?"

Taureen sounded slightly upset. "The Elders want me to attend one of their meetings as a fire lizard handler. The problem is that the location is offworld, and Tasha has not been cleared to go past this planet's orbit."

I was puzzled and lifted my head as I flicked my wings slightly. How was this going to work? I had not been apart from Taureen since returning.

Aeria sat up in surprise. "How long will you be gone for?"

"About six hours. We have been taken off of the work schedule, but I really can't leave her alone."

Aeria hesitantly offered, "If you want, I can watch her."

Taureen transferred his suddenly-measuring cold gaze to her. I blinked in surprise, he had always accepted her suggestions with gallantry, but his welcoming amiable mood had vanished almost instantly. Now it looked like he was evaluating her. I had never seen or heard of any Kymari looking at a woman like that. Okay, now what am I missing?

Aeria bowed her head slightly, somehow not overly surprised by Taureen's reaction. She carefully expanded on her previous comment. "If you are willing, I could remain here and watch her. She should be comfortable enough in her home, and if something goes wrong, I can contact you."

Now it was as if she was trying to convince him while he was still watching her like a half-suspected criminal. He was regarding her suspiciously as if the last several weeks of light flirting had never happened. I obviously don't understand the Kymari half as well as I thought I did...

Taureen's voice was cool. "That is a long time in a stranger's house."

She didn't seem surprised by his sudden mood shift and tried to placate him. "I was going to meet with three friends. If you don't mind four women in your home, the day will not seem long. None of us will approach Tasha. If she chooses to come to us, then we will welcome her presence."

Taureen watched her silently while she shifted uneasily under his hard gaze. He spoke slowly, as if he didn't like what he was agreeing to, "Very well. If any harm comes to her, your family will not be able to protect you." I blinked, unable to believe what I just heard. Did he just threaten her life?

She nodded in relief as he accepted her proposal. "When do you have to leave?" She didn't seem surprised by the threat either.

"The shuttle leaves in an hour."

"Then I will let my friends and family know where I will be, and I will return shortly."

She got up and let herself out of the garden. Taureen remained sitting where he was, looking deep in thought. I spoke tentatively, "I am confused, what just happened?"

He reached over to gently pick me up, cradling me to his chest once more. "The Elders summoned me to their meeting. I cannot refuse to attend this meeting, and it isn't possible for you to come with me. They know that they are not asking a light thing of me when calling me like this."

He sighed as he relaxed slightly. "Normally, separating a bond animal from its handler for any amount of time is almost unheard of, and it isn't taken lightly. Alec's hands are full with his two, so I can't ask him, even though I know that you would be fine visiting with them. Everyone knows that Aeria is the only other person who you will allow to touch you."

I could see that part, but Taureen's behavior was still as clear as mud in my mind. I sent an image of him staring Aeria down, as if she were a threat, along with a sense of confusion.

He glanced down at me in confusion. "I don't think you realize just how strong of a bond there is between us. All bond handlers care deeply for their bond animal. To leave our companion in the charge of another is no light matter."

He spoke softly, "We give our entire heart to a bond animal. When our bond animal dies, it practically destroys us."

I tilted my head and shared the image of him in front of the pond when he had thought that I was dead. He inhaled in pained shock at the memory image. His voice was shaky and quiet. "Yes. You had been designated as my bond animal for mere days at that point. I do not think you understand what I would go through if something were to happen to you now."

I nuzzled his chin in apology. I had no way of seeing into his mind, but I knew that he was not exaggerating. Kymari were intensely loyal to those they called friends. To those they opened their hearts to, their love was unimaginably deep. Deep love can also leave grievous wounds if a loved one dies.

He held me close for some time. Having me rest against his chest seemed to calm and comfort him. Eventually, he said, "I have to get ready. Aeria will be back soon."

He stood up and went inside. He placed me under the heat lamp before going to his room to put on his halfway-armored uniform. He came out, and I tilted my head as I noticed that he still wore his shoulder pads and hawk glove. He caught my surprised look and said, "I will not let them forget that they are separating us."

I nodded in understanding. "Have a safe trip."

He held out his arm. "May I have a hug before I go?"

I got up and flew over to land on his wrist. He took a deep breath as he held me to his chest again. This close, I could tell that he was upset and on edge at having to leave, but was trying to hide it. I hummed reassuringly as I rubbed my head along his neck, letting my wings unfold and spread across his chest in a hug.

The doorbell rang, and he exhaled slowly. He lowered his arms, and I climbed up to his shoulder pad as he went to answer the door. Aeria nodded her head respectfully at Taureen. After a few moments, he slowly and reluctantly moved to the side to let her in. She followed him inside.

Taureen walked over to the corner table and held up a hand for me. I stepped onto it, and he lowered me to the sand under the heat lamp. "Relax. I will be back before too long."

I sat down on the warm sand as I watched him stand up and take a few steps back. I was oddly anxious for some reason. We looked at each other for a while in silence before he turned and left. He didn't even glance at Aeria on his way out.