Chapter Four.

If the photo works it's of Artemis.

Maggie was rolling out pie crust when she heard the bell rang above her door she turned to see Delia crossing the floor.

"Want to tell me what the hell happened yesterday?" Delia asked, taking up a seat on the stool across the counter.

"I....decided I didn't want to go," Maggie replied with a shrug.

"You? You live for dinner with Mom and Dad."

"Yeah well....yesterday I didn't."

"You were with someone," Delia guessed.

"N...no, I wasn't....I mean....not like that." Maggie said.

"Was it Liam?" Delia asked, leaning across the counter.

"No....it was Jake."

"You went on a date with Jake?"

"No, not a date. We just hung out and had dinner. We're friends, it's not that weird."

"Eh, I don't blame you for skipping. Artemis was all over Carlos at dinner, it was disgusting the man gives me the creeps."

"How were Ava and Corey?" Maggie asked, opening a can of home made peach filling.

"Well, Ava has the flu and Corey cried because he didn't want to leave."

Delia walked around the counter to steal a few peach slices from the filling, leaning against the counter that Maggie was currently using to roll out her dough.

"Shouldn't you be going to work? Lives to save and all that?" Maggie asked.

"The hospital cut my hours," Delia said with a shrug.

"Well surely you can find somewhere to go," Maggie teased.

Delia reached out, swiping her hand through some flour and then effectively letting a streak down Maggies cheek. A second later the bell rang and Maggie turned to see Liam walking towards the counter.

"Liam....." She took a few steps closer to the counter.

"Hey Maggie."

"What can I get you?" She asked, nervously wiping her hands on her apron.

"Well I think whatever you recommend would be nice."

"How about her number?" Delia asked.

"Dee!" Maggie turned towards her sister, her cheeks turning red.

"Actually, that would be okay too." Liam said with a wide smile.

"I....uh....."Maggie turned back towards him.

"Unless....are you seeing someone?" He asked.

Instantly and without permission images of Jake popped into her head but she pushed them away. He was the reason she let Liam go before and it wasn't going to happen again, not this time. She deserved to have someone and this was her chance.

"No, I'm not seeing anyone."

"Great, I'll take a coffee, whatever you recommend for desert and you're number."

"Right.....right..."

She turned and gave Delia a wide eyed looked and Delia shrugged before reaching for a cup and pouring some coffee. Maggie selected a cinnamon muffin, scratching her number on a piece of paper and slipping it into the bag before handing it to him.

"Thanks," He said.

He handed her the money and started for the door, pausing before he exited her turned back towards her and smiled.

"Hey Maggie?"

"Yeah?"

"You got something," He said motioning to his cheek.

He left with a laugh just as she really that the flour was still on her cheek from when Delia put it there.

"Damn it Dee!"

"What? How was I supposed to know he was coming in?"

Maggie rolled her eyes before going back to the pie she had been working on, focusing on the top and the intricate design on top.

"Maggie, I'm begging you. Marry him and have a baby, please. I can't stand that Artemis gets to be the settled down one."

"She's a good mom," Maggie said.

"She tries to be, we both know she's negligent most of the time and irresponsible almost all the rest."

Maggie shrugged and moved through the swinging door to put the pie into her still working oven, thanks to Jake. When she came back out Delia had helped herself to a hot cup of tea.

"Were mom and dad upset I skipped?" Maggie asked.

"Mom was but Dad insisted you had a good reason."

Maggie gave a small nod as Delia turned and headed for the door taking her cup of tea with her, she paused before exiting.

"Go out with him Maggie."

"He has to ask first," Maggie pointed out.

"He will, promise me you'll go?" Delia asked.

"Fine, I promise."

The rest of the day passed in a blur, Monday was always her busiest day and this week was o exception by the time she closed she was completely exhausted. She glanced around the freshly cleaned bakery, ready for the next day. All she wanted to do was go home and collapse into her bed, she pulled on her heavy winter coat, hat and scarf. She was walking across the street to her vehicle when a familiar black car pulled up and Jake rolled down his window.

"You're heading home early," He commented.

"I'm exhausted," She admitted.

"Get in your car, I'll follow you home and make sure you make it okay." He said.

She gave him a small smile then climbed behind her wheel and drove to her apartment, she parked in front of the door and Jake pulled in behind her. Climbing from her car she walked back to his.

"Thanks for....checking up on me," She said.

"Figured you'd be hung over and completely beat today."

"Come on, I wasn't that drunk." She said with a laugh.

"You were pretty drunk."

She shook her head but didn't argue, the ride home was mostly a blur anyway.

"Do you want to come in for something to eat?" She offered.

"No, I'll let you get some sleep."

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'm sure you will," He said with a smile.

She turned and let herself into her apartment, she stripped off her shoes, coat, and scarf. She treated herself to a long bubble bath and then slipping into her favorite pajamas fell into a deep sleep.