6. A Day for the History Books

I didn't stay in the apartment with the boys much; I'd leave early in the morning and come back late at night. I mainly went down to visit Mrs. Hudson, only because she was the only other person I knew in London, and I knew she wouldn't turn me down if I came knocking on her door. She eventually began to question my frequent visits. I felt like I had no choice but to tell her what had happened between Sherlock and me. She had listened, waiting until the very end to share her comments. She was a bit surprised by Sherlock's attitude but wasn't at the same time. She was shocked to hear that I had once been involved with Moriarty, and she was glad that I was free of him.

I couldn't tell you how many times I told her I wanted to move in with her. She'd smiled at me and told me that it would take Sherlock some time before he would warm up to me.

"I don't know," I had told her wearily, "he's dead set on the idea of me being Moriarty's spy. He thinks that's why I sought out Baker Street. He even said that my reason for being here is a lie." My throat had tightened.

"What reason is that?"

"I was hoping he'd help me find my dad. I never knew him, and my friends figured Sherlock could help me." I had snorted. "There's no chance of that now. I guess there never was."

"Don't be so down, dear," Mrs. Hudson had encouraged me. "He'll see he made a mistake. A man like him doesn't like to think he's wrong."

During the times Sherlock and I were in the same room, John had to be as well. I knew he was watching us both, making sure Sherlock didn't pick at me, and that I didn't find the nearest object and attack Sherlock. Believe me, those urges came on pretty often, and that was just by staring at the man.

The only way I had escaped the insanity of London was by Amanda calling me. She made sure to call at night where I was, because it was still afternoon back in Maryland. When she had first called, I had told her everything that she didn't already know (she had found out about the break-ins via Google News). I made her promise me that she wouldn't tell the others. I knew it killed her and me to keep things from Madison, Kendal, and Darien, but they weren't close like Mandy and I were.

One day I had gotten a Skype call from them all, as Mandy had invited them over. I didn't give away where exactly I was, because I was sure Kendal and Madison would have heart attacks if I did. I was bombarded with questions: How is London? When are you coming back? Did you meet Sherlock yet? Is he as handsome in person as he is in newspapers and TV?

Those last two questions were from his fan club. I was glad those two hadn't come along for the ride, they would have fainted on Baker Street before even getting the chance to knock on the door, let alone meet the consulting detective.

Before we knew it, the time had come: Moriarty's trial was today.

I sat at the now-clear dining room table, staring at the refrigerator. I was wrapped in a blanket, like usual. Even though I had been so determined to attend the trial today, now I wasn't so sure. Did I have it in me to go there and watch? I would have said "yes" in a heartbeat weeks ago.

Now, my answer was up in the air.

Unlike me, Sherlock and John were dressing up for the occasion.

"Are you sure you don't want to come along?" John asked me for the second time this morning. He was fixing up his tie in the mirror hovering above the fireplace.

I blew out a quiet breath. "I'm sure. Besides, if I go there, it'll only make Sherlock think I'm still with Moriarty." The name left a bitter taste in my mouth. "I'm already on his bad side, I don't need to get on it more. If I do, I'll be sure to get kicked out."