Chapter 10

The village was west of the temple, east of the forest and to the north of both, a small settlement at the southern edge of Snakeweed Creek. The creek was an inlet of the Nahari, a great river that flowed northeast all the way to the coastline—and the only way to reach the Convent of the Sun that didn't take you through the desert. A loquacious Kameko informed Sam the creek got its name from the yellow-flowering bushes growing along the creekbank. Though they could see creek from afar, they didn't come too close for their horses' sakes. Apparently snakeweed was to horses what catnip was to cats—mostly harmless but when eaten in large quantities a potent laxative. From her cousin's expression, Sam got the sense Kameko had witnessed its effects firsthand.

They rode their horses into the village, a fenced-off enclave barely large enough to deserve the name, with out-of-town visitors outnumbering the permanent residents. Many Rheans made an annual pilgrimage to the Convent of the Sun, and so the village's inns never wanted for guests or the coin they brought with them.

After dismounting and tethering their horses to the stakes of the fence, Sam and Kameko continued on through the village on foot. The recent storm had left its mark, leaving behind unavoidable puddles that sloshed and squelched under their feet. Though the sun had returned, as had the oppressing heat, no one was outside to greet them. Most of the villagers were employed by the sisters and were away working at the temple.

"I told you, there isn't much worth seeing," said Kameko with a bored sigh. "People come to the convent to see the temples, not the village."

Sam hated to admit her cousin was right. The flag flying from the tall flagpole at the village center bore the Mother's sigil, a golden starburst on a white background, declaring loyalty to the sisters over the emperor. Sam would find no allies here. She was well and truly on her own, may the Gods help her.

The only thing of any interest was the strange, roofless structure just south of Snakewood Creek, boasting far more elaborate architecture than the rest of the village. Built from the same smooth white stone as the temple, it was walled off on three sides by a succession of two-tiered arches. The fourth side opened on to a rectangular courtyard, paved in a tiled mosaic of a sunburst. At the back of the courtyard was a towering statue of Emese, Her stone expression fierce. A balanced scale hung suspended from the statue's right hand, and a dagger was clenched in Her left.

"What is this place?" Sam asked, staring up at the massive statue. She took a single step onto the tiled marble floor of the courtyard, but Kameko shoved her back, hard enough to make her stumble.

"You can't go in there," Kameko said sharply. "The Court of Atonement is not open to visitors."

"I thought you said I was allowed anywhere on the convent grounds."

"Not here. The sanctum is for the Arbiter alone, and those who have asked for the Mother's justice. A trial before the Mother isn't meant for spectators."

Sam frowned. "Why wasn't Braeden's trial held here?"

"We could not risk bringing him into the village, not so close to the emperor's arrival. Besides, the Court is a holy place blessed by Emese. The Arbiter did not want the aliah to sully it."

Sam was still stuck on what Kameko had said first. "The emperor's arrival? He is coming here?"

Kameko shrugged, unimpressed by the prospect of the most powerful man in Rhea at her doorstep. "The Sun Sisters do not bow to any man. The emperor is a man like any other."

Sam stared at her cousin. In Thule, such brazen words about the king would be viewed as treason and blasphemy both. If you believed the scripture, the king of Thule was Cathair's lieutenant on earth, a direct descendent of Hartwin the Brave. Did the Rhean emperor not enjoy the same unimpeachable legitimacy? She shook her head, bemused. "Have you met him?"