CHAPTER SEVEN - CONFESSION (Act I)

I sat there, expecting that something would come out of my friend's mouth

I sat there, expecting that something would come out of my friend's mouth. Alice just stayed there, her mouth slightly agape as she stared at me with round eyes. She was shocked, I could tell just by her body language. She was frozen: she couldn't speak, and she couldn't move either. I started to think that I shouldn't have told her. After all of these years I spent lying to her, maybe I should have continued on that way. At that moment, I knew I made a mistake by telling her about my ability, and I was sure I would lose her in the minutes that followed this confession.

"Say something," I almost begged her, as tears threatened to fall from my eyes. "I need you to say something Al."

She opened her mouth and tried to say something, but not a sound came out of it. I nervously played with my fingers, as my palms were sweaty. Looking at her was too painful for me to see, so I stood up from the couch. Alice didn't move an inch and didn't even look in my direction: she was just sitting there.

"I'm still me. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before but I...," I sighed heavily as I looked down at her, rubbing the space between my eyes. "I'm still me."

As I made my way to the kitchen to try to avoid Alice's stare, she finally opened her mouth,, "You can see the future," is the only thing she said. I stopped dead in my tracks without turning around, and closed my eyes for a few seconds before answering.

"I do," I shamefully said, as I looked down, before turning around in her direction. "I can see the future."

"H—How?" she asked, as confusion appeared on her face.

"I don't know how," I answered honestly, as I shrugged my shoulders. "I just can."

"But—I—I don't understand. I thought medium didn't exist, at least not real ones an—and you're telling me that you're one?"

"I'm not a medium, I'm just... different," I simply said, shrugging again.

Alice rubbed her forehead as silence fell upon the both of us. I watched her every move, and the more I could see she was confused and somehow scared, the more I grew nervous and sad at the same time. Tears were filling my eyes as I looked down at her demeanor.

"You can run away, I'll understand. Just... Please, do it fast," I announced, at the waterfall I was holding back finally fell from my eyes.

Once again, I turned around so that Alice wouldn't see I was crying, and went to the kitchen. As my back was turned, I heard some footsteps coming from behind me a few seconds later, and soon enough I felt a hand being laid on my shoulder.

"I—I'm not going anywhere," she reassured, as her voice was shaky as well. "I'm just very confused."

I turned around slowly, and at the sight of my wet eyes, Alice pulled me in a warm embrace. I hugged her back with force, as I didn't want to let go of her, as more tears fell from my eyes. We stayed in each others' arms for what seemed hours, and we didn't speak a word. I think we both needed this: I needed this because I just laid myself bare to my best friend, fearing she would leave me, and Alice... Well, I guess she just needed to feel I was still me, and that this secret wouldn't change the person I was.