Chapter Thirty-Nine

Immediately after this chapter, the synopsis for The DarkNess Within Him, Matthew's book, is at the bottom, in my author's notes. So check it out once you're done.

Now enjoy...

Logan's weight shifts off me instantly as someone tackles him to the side. I look quickly and I can recognise that brown head of hair anywhere.

Max.

I look at Rionna, the silver dagger still clutched tightly within her fingertips as she looks back at me. I look to the side and see Sonya passed out on the ground, her body crumpled together awkwardly.

"Max sedated her using a syringe." Rionna answers before I even get a chance to ask and then I look towards Max and Logan, my hands still hovering over my stomach.

Max has Logan off the ground, holding him by the chest, his muscles protruding in anger and despite Logan's inferior position, he still has an irritating smile plastered across his face.

"I knew it was only a matter of time before you came for her." Logan says, laughing in a taunting way and then, Max slams his balled fist into the side of Logan's face.

Logan doesn't even say anything. Instead, he just jerks backward from the impact. He takes a few steps back and when he looks back at Max, I expect to see his eye hue change and his wolf emerge for a fight but no, Logan looks more amused than anything, as if he's deriving joy from Max lashing out.

Max takes Logan by the collar of his leather jacket once more and I can see the blood that runs down his chin from his busted lip. I watch Max punch him several more times in his face and stomach, completely furious.

Despite the physical hits, Logan seems unfazed as he lets Max hit him as much as he likes, not bothering to even fight back. I know Logan, he is strong. Extremely strong and that was just when he was an Alpha's son, now he is an Alpha so it is no doubt amplified. I can't tell who's stronger between Logan and Max and Max is one of the strongest men I have ever met. That is how strong Logan is.

So the fact that Logan isn't fighting back and instead, letting himself get beat up by Max simply baffles me.

Logan's muffled laughs are mixed with his slight yelps of pain in an almost sickening way, tainting the air with it's impurity and then once more, Max lifts Logan up by his collar. This time though, he holds him up against the side of the tree I am standing by, his back hitting it with a loud thud.

I jolt away from the tree quickly, fumbling towards Rionna but my eyes never waver from Max's golden eyes. If he sees me, he doesn't acknowledge me as he seethes with anger, about ready to kill Logan.

"You killed my sister and my father!" Max says through a harsh growl, his voice echoing loudly through the air and coating my skin with goosebumps.

But how did Max find out?

I look towards Rionna, her jaw is tightened in anger and her eyes are narrowed at Logan.

"H-how-" Logan croaks through a painful cough, blood spurting out of his mouth as he does so "how did you find out?"

Logan asks the same question I wanted to ask but had no idea how to voice.

"Amelia kept a diary." Max says through a deep seethed growl "Matt, my brother has been trying to unlock it for months. He finally did. She mentioned you being her mate."

"Ah!" Logan coos and despite his beaten up state, he still manages a sinister chuckle. "Still, that doesn't explain how you know I killed her. Last time I checked, the dead can't write in diaries."