The Game Of His Life (Part 2)

"Ker-wint!"

Quint's heart leapt in his chest. He heard his father's words in his mind:Your uncle died of heart failure at 40, Quint. At this rate you will too. Due to his incredible obesity this uncle had attained a mythical, almost godlike status in the eyes of the younger, leaner Quint; later Uncle Evan had become the spectre of death, to be called upon whenever Quint went back for seconds.

The office window was open above Quint's head. Mr. Green's head was craning out of it. Mr. Green had an exceptionally long neck.

"I need you in here. Stop clowning around."

"I'm fixing a buggy."

"Now." Mr. Green's head wound back inside and the window snapped closed.

Quint got up and walked towards the Pro Shop steps. The gravel crunching beneath his shoes seemed too loud. He felt huge: a blimp set free of its moorings. He didn't dare look towards the practice green, but somehow he knew the man was watching him.

It seemed an age before he got inside. The air-conditioner purred above his head. His head swam after the glare outside.

"Quint?"

"Yes Mr. Green?"

"This gentleman – Quint?"

"Yes Mr. Green?"

"Are you listening?"

"Yes Mr. Green."

"This gentleman would like to be shown to the bar."

One of the gentleman's eyes was half-lidded, making him look sleepy. He seemed to have impressed Mr. Green. In turn he impressed Quint: anyone who could impress Mr. Green was impressive.

Mr. Green was the great grandson of Lord Durham, who had opened the course in the 1920s. Quint imagined Mr. Green still saw himself as a lord of sorts. His mother had been a Durham until she married. Quint had never met Mrs. Durham-Green: she had vanished mysteriously twenty years ago while playing golf. Mr. Green didn't liekto talk about it. Most of the older members believed she had left Mr Green's father for another man. Having met Mr. Green the Elder on several occasions, Quint suspected the members were right.

"I'm feeling sick," Quint said when he got back from showing the sleepy gentleman to the bar.

Mr. Green didn't look up from the pyramid of golf ball packets he was building on the counter.

"Mind if I leave early?" Quint pressed.

"Of course I mind. Today is my golf day."

"Can't Tony caddy for you?"

"Tony's needed here. You have certain tasks to fulfil Quint. What would happen around here if everyone went home claiming they were sick?"

"But I am -"

"What you are is treading a fine line. There are many boys who would jump at the opportunity you have been given. Please remember where you are." He finished the pyramid and stepped back to examine it. He seemed to have forgotten Quint was there.

Heart failure is no excuse for failing to vote for this chapter.