Oh God

Author's Note: Thanks to everyone reading! I've decided to stop working doubles during the month of August so that I have more time to write before going back to school. I can't promise that means updates more often, as I am working on multiple stories right now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Ava and I were stuck in my room all day. I told her about what Dad said, and she spent an hour pacing. She flopped on my bed and let out a groan.

"At least we're safe," Ava said. "Well as safe as we can be."

"What do you mean?" I sat on the edge of the bed next to her.

"They don't kill their family," she said. "They see me as part of the family too. But they're still going to try to brainwash us."

"Do you think that is what this sleep thing is about?"

"Probably."

She rolled onto her side. She had large bags under her eyes, and she closed her eyes for a long time. I reached out and tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"Go to sleep," I told her. "I'll keep watch."

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"No." She shook her head. "It was too close last time. You almost didn't wake up on time."

I lied down on the bed. Ava crawled up so that her was on my chest. She slid one arm of my chest. I wanted to wrap my arms around her, but I was afraid to touch her back. I cupped the side of her face with my hand. Ava looked up, and pressed her lips against mine.

"I wish that I never met you at that party," I said.

"Thanks," Ava said wryly.

My eyes felt heavy and I was struggling to keep them open. Ava nuzzled herself into my chest, and I listened to her rhythmic breathing as she fell asleep.

--

"Guys," a hushed voice said. "You need to wake up."

My eyes fluttered open, and Leah was leaning over us. She was shaking us awake. Ava groaned and rubbed her eyes with the palm of her hand.

"I won't tell Jared that the two of you fell asleep," she said. "You're lucky only Julie, Emme and I are home."

"Where are the others?" Ava asked.

"I don't know, but they should be home soon."

"How long have they been gone for?"

Leah shrugged her shoulders. "For awhile."

"Do you have the keys?" Ava asked. "You got into this room, so you must have the key for the front door."

Leah's hand shot up to her chest. There was a chain that looped around her neck, and was buried in her shirt. I sat up, and Leah jumped off of the bed. She shook her head and clutched the chain.

"I can't," she said. "They would know. They trusted me. I'd be punished."

"No," Ava said. "You won't get punished. We'll call the cops before they come back."

Leah took a few steps back, and Ava and I got up off of the bed.

"I have nobody else," Leah said. Her voice was barely above a whisper. "I can't raise this baby on my own."

"You would rather raise your baby with this homicidal family?" I asked.

"They're your family too," Leah said.

Leah's eyes glistened with tears. She turned around, and headed out of the room. Ava ran after her and grabbed her arm. Leah tried to yank her arm out of Ava's grasp, and tried to twist her body away.

"Let go of me!" Leah yelled. Her voice cracked, and I saw a tear roll down her cheek.

Ava grabbed the chain on Leah's neck. Leah tried to pull herself away, but stumbled on her feet. She fell to the floor, and Ava fell on top of her. Ava's hand was still on the chain. Leah had her hands cradling her stomach.

"Ava, stop!" I yelled. I grabbed her shoulders, and hauled her up onto her feet.

"We need to get out!" Ava yelled at me.

"She's pregnant," I told her. "Don't hurt her."

Ava was breathing heavy, and soon her body started to shake. She crumpled in my arms, and I held onto her to keep her on my feet. She started sobbing, and shaking her head.

I could hear someone running up the stairs. Mom and Emme were hurrying down the hall. Mom got down on her knees next to Leah. She pulled Leah's hands away from her stomach, and rolled up her shirt. Emme's eyes darted from Leah to us. I pulled Ava back into my room, and slammed the door.

Ava's shaky legs let go, and she fell to the floor. I got down next to her, and she grabbed my shoulders and buried her face into my neck. Her warm tears slid down my skin.

"They were gone all day," Ava sobbed. "And what did we do? We were sleeping."

"We don't know how long they were gone," I said.

"We could have crawled off the roof, and escaped. We wasted that time."

"Ava, there will be other chances soon."

Her face was red, and her hair was a tangled mess. She shook her head, and wiped the tears hastily off of her cheeks. She was panting for breath, and squeezed her eyes shut. Her tears continued to fall.

"I hurt Leah," she said. "They're going to punish me. Oh my God, if something happens to the baby they're going to torture me."

"I won't let them hurt you," I said.

I grabbed Ava's shoulders and pulled her into my body. She curled up against my chest. She grabbed my shirt, and continued to sob.

"I'm going crazy," she said. "I am so hungry. I'm so tired. I just want this to be over."

"Ava, you know what my family is trying to do better than anyone else," I said. "They're doing all of this so you'll believe what they say."

The sound of the stairs creaking echoed through the house. I heard some male voices come from the hall, and knew Dad was home.