Chapter 40

Chapter 40
• • •

"Dude there's no way in hell," Eli yelled to Kevin as Kevin broke into a full blown sprint, heading towards the parking lot. Apparently he had heard the ice cream truck, and now he was trying to chase it down the street.

"Run forest!" Savanah yelled up from her chair. I let out a chuckle.

"Damn he's fast," I said, tired just looking at him run. Kevin ran out of sight and we all turned back to face each other.

"I'm faster," Eli said, taking a sip of his beer.

"True," Ashton added. "But I'm faster than you, so that doesn't really matter." Eli stood up and pointed down at Ashton.

"You. Me. Right now. Let's go," he said and began to walk down to the sand bar in order to race, I presume. Ashton let out a smug laugh and got up with him.

"You're the one getting embarrassed here," he jogged to catch up to him. Well this will be interesting.

They drew a starting line in the sand, and Scarlett went about 50 yards away from them, holding her hands out as the finish line. The two lined up on the line, and Scarlett counted down from 5.

In a flash, Ashton and Eli bursted forward. Eli had taken the lead for a second, before Ashton powered forward. About halfway through, Ashton was about 3 feet in front of Eli, and when Ashton finished he was about 7 feet in front of him. I chuckled and looked over at Savanah, who rolled her eyes amusedly.

When they got back to the chairs, they were both a little out of breath, but Scarlett was the most out of breath. I held in a chuckle at Eli's disappointed face.

"We'll pretend we didn't see that. Don't worry," Scarlett said and Eli playfully glared at her, she chuckled.

"I warned you," Ashton said as he plopped back down in his chair.

"Shut up," Eli hissed half jokingly as he sat down in his chair as well.

"I'm hot as hell, let's go in the water," Scarlett said and got up.

"Hot is an understatement," Eli said and winked. Scarlett shoved him as they began to walk down to the water, leaving Ashton and I.

"I don't know about you but I'm far too lazy for that," I said and relaxed deeper into my chair. There was a pause.

"C'mon, let's go," he said and held his hand out for me to take. I looked up at him blankly.

"Did you not just hear me?"

"We're not going swimming, don't get your bikini bottoms in a twist," he said and I hesitantly took his hand and stood up.

"Then where are we going?" I asked as we began to walk.

"Nowhere," he said simply. "We're just walking."

"Why?" I asked, and he shrugged.

"I don't know," he replied. We walked along the beach for about 5 minutes, before I broke the comfortable silence.

"So um, we should probably talk," I looked up to meet his gaze. His eyes resembled the ocean next to us. He nodded, and looked back ahead of us. I noticed a couple of girls eyeing him, and I glared at them. Not that they noticed- they were too distracted. I mean, I didn't blame them, since he was shirtless and all.