11. Gulaab (Rose)

A/N: Hey everyone! I am back with another update!

So... yeah. Shall we move ahead with the chapter?

*******************************

Zubiya rushed out of her room and down the stairs to the living room to search for her book that she required for her test.

The rest of the family sans Asfand watched her with amusement as she searched for the book in between the sofa pillows.

Finally as she found the book quickly putting it inside her bag, started to run for the door when she was called by her mami as she called out.

"Wait, Zubiya! Have your breakfast - "

"Mami, I'm so sorry but you'll have to excuse me today. If I don't go right now then I'll be late for my test. You have know idea how strict my teacher is.. he won't allow me any extra time. Ok - Allah Hafiz!" Zubiya quickly ran out of the house to grab a rikshaw.

"This girl -" Lubna shook her head as she sighed heavily.

"It's alright, Ma. She'll have something at the canteen with her friends. I'll call and check upon her." Gaiti assured her while Daniyal and his father shared an amused smile among each other.

Asfand wiped at his eyes, yawning widely as he sluggishly walked downstairs. He directly walked to the dining table and slumped down on his seat next to Gaiti bhabi and wished everyone morning.

Daniyal who had taken a day off watched his brother closely. Asfand looked almost haggard with his hair long, almost past his shoulders and red bloodshot eyes watching them blearily.

"Asfi.. why are you taking such long duties everyday? Look at yourself. You are almost dead on your feet!" Daniyal said.

Asfand who had shoved in a whole bread, shook his head with his mouthful. After gulping his food and taking a sip of his tea, he said, "Bhai. It's not just me. Me and all my colleagues are doing the same hours of duty. And anyways, it's better for me. I can finish the house job in about 8-months and then concentrate on my specialization in Medicine. I can apply for the Diploma really quick then. Bhai, to become a doctor... it's not a cakewalk. You need to work for it."

Daniyal nodded his head, who totally understood Asfi's point of view. He himself had struggled through his law studies and internship. Visiting various courts to learn the ways of law and everything.

"I totally get it, Asfi. But, you need to take care of your health as well. An ill doctor is of no use, you know. And by the way there is another thing that I wanted to talk to you about. How about we go for a ride after you are done with your breakfast?" Daniyal asked his brother.

Asfand who was done with his tea, looked on confusedly at his brother wondering about what he might want to discuss with him. He took a deep breath and said, "I'm done. I'll just quickly change and be back."

*******************************

Daniyal furtively glanced at his brother as he drove without care. He finally drove them to a beach and parked his car. Donning on his sunglasses he got outside waiting for Asfi to follow him.

He leaned back on the hood of his car as he gazed into the sea before him.

Asfand followed his brother's lead and stood beside him and looked at his brother waiting for him to speak.

"Asfand, you like Zubiya don't you?" Daniyal asked him finally.

Asfand sighed out as he looked away and stared into the waters.

"Yes. I like her. And much more. She- she is different. Not different in the sense that she has suffered through many tragedies... different in the sense that she is unlike girls that I have encountered in our social circles. She.. she is natural. Simple. Which is what I like about her the most. Her simplicity. Her innocence. Her faith in Allah. Her habit of finding good in bad. She is very forgiving. You know, after how her father, brother and sister-in-law treated her... she doesn't hold a single grudge against them. She has forgiven them..." Asfand rambled as he tried to describe what he felt for Zubiya.

"I hope it's not pity.." Daniyal interrupted him.

"No! It's definitely not pity, bhai. In fact I respect her and I would be honored to be her husband.... if- if she accepts my proposal." Asfand looked down, his cheeks tinted pink as he stammered through the last sentence.

"Asfand. I am not telling you this as your brother. But now, I am telling you this as Zubiya's brother. I care for her as an elder brother cares for his little sister and feel very protective about her. I know you, but I really hope that you will care for her, love her, give her the respect she deserves." Daniyal stated as he looked at Asfand gravely.

Asfand nodded his head, as he looked back at his brother and promised, "I will."

*******************************

Zubiya after finishing her test, thumped down next to her classmate in the cafeteria where they ordered for some sandwiches and coffee. Her book still gripped in her hand slipped and fell on the ground with a thud. She froze as she bent down to retrieve it.

Her fingers shook as she caressed the soft petals that was between the pages of her book. She breathed in short gasps as she gazed at the beautiful Damask rose.

She jumped slightly as her friend called out, "Zubiya, what are you doing down there?"

She slammed the book shut, clutching it tightly to her chest sat up straight.

"Nothing... just picking up my book. It had gone a bit out of my reach, that's all..." Zubiya lightly lied to her friend, who nodded believing her words and started discussing about the test.

Zubiya glanced down at the book as she wondered..

Could it be? Did he.. ?

She hadn't given much thought to Asfand and his little action since their last encounter. Which was the day after her uncle and aunt's wedding anniversary.. And then her upcoming exams and primary classes had taken up her time leaving her with no free time.

She had no idea what to make of this... whatever it was. First, the wink and then, this. This beautiful Damask rose. Her favorite.

So lost in her thoughts that she lost her appetite and didn't touch any of the food that she had ordered. The thought of even having a bite of any type of food made her nauseous.

As the bell rang, she slowly stood up, the book with the rose still clutched in her hand, and followed her friend to their next class.

*******************************
Asfand sat in the living room beside his parents as he watched some comedy show that was telecasted on the TV. His mind elsewhere as he thought about some particular girl.

Did she see it?

He was pulled out of his thoughts as the land phone rang and his mother received the call.

"What?! Where... when?!" Lubna asked to the caller in the phone.

Asfand sat up straight, as he paid attention to his mother who looked very much worried and scared at the same time.

After his mother finished the call, Asfand finally asked, "Who is it, Ma?"

"It's... It's Z-Zubiya..." Lubna whispered to Asfand who became still in his seat. Only one name through his head..

Zubiya..

*******************************

P.S: Aand here we stop. Okay. I hope you will like this chapter. Please like and do give your reviews and opinions in the comments' section.

Okay. Goodnight peeps.

Love ya all! 💜💜💜