Chapter Nine.

Xander

It's been two weeks since Bella came back to us. Two weeks of laughter, two weeks of spending time with my mate, two weeks of being with Bella again,

And two weeks of doubts.

It wasn't that anything was wrong... I mean, not really, but my wolf kept had this nagging feeling that something was wrong after the shock of Bella's return wore off. I didn't know what was wrong, but my wolf didn't understand it himself either. He just said things didn't add up because the men who found Bella said they found her hunting, but Bella had told us she couldn't shift into her wolf.

It just didn't add up.

Bella couldn't have gone hunting with weapons either because we were taught only hand-to-hand combat and our weapon training was going to start after Bella turned seventeen so we could get at least a learner permit for her (I don't know how this really works but just go with it).

I didn't say anything to Leon or Ma Jennifer. They already have suffered enough and as long as Bella is keeping them happy, no matter what is really going on, I don't want to ruin their happiness because of some doubts I'm having.

Everyone in the pack was also relieved to have Bella back when Leon made the announcement. They were all smiles and cheers when Bella was brought to the stage. And to our amusement they partied with enthusiasm enough to match their relief right there and then.

"Xander, snap out of it!" Edward's voice broke me out of my thoughts, bringing me back to our training grounds. Leon said Bella and I had to practice again, to see how much Bella had changed in the year she was gone. I agreed completely even though it was a bit too soon, my wolfs doubts had a big impact on my opinion too.

The pack doctor had checked out Bella's condition in regard to her wolf and said a few days will be enough for Leon to use his alpha command to bring out Bella's wolf by force so that she could get it back again. Today, we were testing just that.

"Sorry." I mumbled as I took my spot, Bella taking her spot a few feet from me. I gave her an encouraging smile when she seemed nervous and she gave me a nervous smile back.

Edward sighed and said "Begin."

And that's when Bella lunged for me.

"Ouch." I said ten minutes later when my head hit the ground. Bella's figure came and sat on my chest, restraining me from moving as she took my arm and twisted it enough to create pain, but not break it while I recovered from my daze.

It had been the most intense fight we had ever had. Bella was unrelenting as she attacked me. I didn't want to hurt her so I only defended myself at first but I knew I needed to get serious if I didn't want to lose but here I was.

"Okay, I yield." I said and immediately Bella let go of my arm, jumping back to her spot.

Leon, Edward and Samantha, looked shocked at Bella as they tried to recover from what they had just witnessed but the quickly snapped out of it. Leon cleared his throat.

"Well done, Bella. That was really impressive. Now, Xander, shift." He said and I immediately did what he had instructed, shaking my fur as I stood up to my full height. Leon nodded and me and then took a deep breath." Now, Bella. Shift." His alpha command rang through the air and Bella collapsed on her knees with a cry under it.

Bones started cracking as Bella started to transform into her wolf and something else changed too. I didn't know what is was but my wolf did.

Hey what are you doing!? I exclaimed as my wolf lunged for Bella who was sitting on the ground, panting from her shift. My wolf only growled louder as our body crashed with Bella's, our teeth immediately going for her throat.

That's our mate, you stupid wolf! What are you doing!? I asked again when I felt him putting pressure on Bella's throat. My wolf only growled louder as I fought him for control.

She's not our mate! Smell her. Her human side may be able to lie to both of us but her wolf can't lie to me. This isn't our mate! He growled.

I froze as did the other three when my wolf mind-linked them as well. I did as he instructed, waiting to smell lilacs but instead,

I got the scent of roses.

I felt the anger rise within me just as Leon growled as well.

"Xander, drop her." Leon growled and I let go very reluctantly, transforming back into myself but my wolf still had control. "Shift back." Leon commanded and the wolf transformed again into a blonde woman who was gasping for breath.

"Who the hell are you!? Where is Bella!?" I shouted and the women started cackling as she caught her breath. Her blue eyes landed on me as she smirked.

"Locked away, getting tortured, you know the gist of kidnapping don't you, Xander?" She crackled again but my wolf only growled in response. "Aw, is that big bad wolf mad at me? Too bad, I don't care. But don't worry, my master is taking good care of her." I took a step forward but Leon's hand came on my chest to stop me.

"How did you transform yourself into Bella?" He asked, ignoring me as I growled at him for stopping me.

"Oh, isn't it a wonder what a witch will do to save her mate and child? It's quite handy, isn't it?" She asked but Leon only growled in response. The woman laughed. "Well, I better get going now. My master is waiting for me." The women said and smoke started coming out of the ground, enveloping her legs but just as it reached her hip, she started choking.

All we could do was stare in astonishment as a knife protruded out of the women's chest.

"And where do you think you're going, Abigail?" A voice called from behind as the women chocked again.

"You... How did you escape?" The woman, Abigail murmured.

"It's a wonder what a witch will do when you save their mate and child." The person behind Abigail said again and my heart thumped in my chest louder and louder as the seconds passed, my wolf slowly calming down.

The smoke cleared from the ground as Abigail's, now dead body, had fallen down, the hilt of the knife still poking out of her back. The person who stabbed her now sending us a nervous smile as she saw us looking at her in shock.

"Hi, daddy. Hi Xan." A ragged Bella stood in front of us.

And I knew this time, it really was my mate.

—————————————————————————————————————

AN: I know, I know it's been too long, but I hoped you liked it! Comment, Vote and Follow :)