Chapter 4 - Part 1

Bay

Bay

"So what's up?" I asked, trying to lighten the heavy silence. I clasped my hands to stop them from showing my nervousness.

"I know." His voice was serious and somber as he studied me.

"Know what?" I asked, feigning ignorance. I knew what he was talking about but I didn't want to accept that Flynn and I had been obvious enough for someone to realize why we couldn't seem to keep away from each other.

Kyle was my friend but ultimately he was my alpha whom I couldn't technically lie to if he asked me outright. The only way to get around that would be to leave the pack, severing the connection to the alpha.

He let out a deep sigh before he massaged the side of his one temple with his fingers.

His hand dropped before his eyes met mine. I could read his inner thoughts in his eyes. There was no mistaking the sadness in them. I steeled myself against the emotion. I wouldn't allow anyone to look at me with pity.

"There was too much going on before for me to realize what was happening but I should have seen it sooner," he began to say in a heavy voice.

"How?" I whispered, still not wanting to admit it out loud.

Had it been that obvious from the start? How many had figured it out already? I kept my features schooled because I wasn't ready to confirm anything.

"The whole birthmark thing and the way you two seem drawn to each other."

He wasn't asking me if Flynn was my mate, he already knew he was.

I hadn't even had enough time to figure it out for myself and I wasn't ready to open up to him, so I kept quiet.

He studied me but I refused to confirm or deny it.

"When did you figure it out?" he asked when he sat down behind his desk and leaned back in his chair, watching me.

I bit my lip before I sank down in the closest seat. "When I was told he had killed Travis."

He nodded. "It's the only way to explain why he changed so suddenly."

"How many people know?" I asked, not really wanting to know.

I wanted to believe that it was only three of us, including Flynn and me.

"I think Crystal suspects but no one else has voiced anything."

It gave me some relief.

"You deserve better," he said, and I felt a tightness in my throat.

"It is what it is." I shrugged, trying to hide how devastated I was over it.

"I'd always hoped your mate would give you the love you deserved." His words made me tear up but I refused to cry.