Chapter 5: Of Crossroads And Spectres

A day and an uneventful walk later, the pair arrived at the Traveller's Market, the first familiar stop on their journey so far. The market had served as a main source of supplies for the town of Brim, the place Nyx and Selene had called home for twenty years. Both of them had visited before, although they had travelled along the main road then, instead of choosing to trek through the forest.

The market was just as they remembered, however: an immense gathering of merchants and customers from the neighbouring towns and settlements, and even plenty from beyond. There were people of every skin tone under the sun, including wildmages like the two of them. There were beings other than humans, too, beings with scales, fur, or a combination of both. There was an even bigger variety in the creatures present: creatures with six wings, or only one leg. Creatures that shrieked so loud you ran the risk of being deafened when you came too close, and creatures that puffed out clouds of glittering smoke. Most of them were there to be sold, others as pets or workforces.

What all of them had in common, was that they proved to be quite the distraction for the curious mind, and so Nyx found herself being tugged along by a mesmerized Selene. They had just passed a crate of innocent-looking potatoes that suddenly started growling when they approached, when Selene discovered another great find.

"Oh Nyx, did you see that? They found a tricorn bat! Those are very hard to find, since they're so stealthy. It seems like they tamed it, that's even more impressive!"

"Tell me where they are from and I'll find you one in the wild," Nyx said promptly.

"I just told you, they're incredibly difficult to find."

"No problem. I'm the master of stealth, how do you think I avoid so much idle chitchat?"

"You don't avoid it with me," remarked Selene.

"Even masters have weaknesses."

They kept weaving through the crowds, dodging elbows and eyeing wares displayed on colourful cloths. Occasionally they stopped at a stall to buy supplies, as they needed enough to last them until they reached the next city. They treated themselves to a pastry each, not knowing when they would have the next chance to eat the deliciously crumbling treats again.

Exploring the market until the evening, they met many a stranger, bearing even more tales of faraway lands and the wonders they held. The friends picked up new words in languages that felt strange to their tongues, and learned of safe and dangerous routes to travel.

Of course, in a place that crowded, it is nigh impossible to prevent any kerfuffle from happening, and so many a time potential buyers broke out in heated discussions over prices with merchants, or feathers got ruffled over accidental collisions. One occurrence, however, stood out amongst the others.

Not far from where Nyx and Selene stood, browsing through a collection of singing fruits, a commotion arose when a figure cloaked in dark grey clothes was tackled to the ground rather violently. The tackler in question seemed to be a bodyguard, working for a merchant selling quite pricey trinkets and gadgets. The smoke-coloured figure had tried to steal a particularly expensive-looking instrument, and was now forced to pay up under the stern glare of the merchant. After a moment of squirming and negotiating, the would-be thief finally realised there was little else to do but pay the full price. Turning once more to glare daggers at the security guard, they now walked away with the instrument in their possession, but much less coins lining their pockets. With their departure, the market quickly returned to its old, cacophonic self.

Later, exhausted from the bustle and commotion, the two friends settled down on the outskirts of the market to get some much needed rest for their journey that would resume the very next day. With the merchants staying the night in tents as colourful as their merchandise, they figured there was safety in numbers, and seeking a place to sleep further away would mean taking an unnecessary risk.

They stayed up late into the night, talking over all the wonderful and outrageous wares they had stumbled upon during the day. Their talking dissolved into an elated Selene chatting away, while Nyx hummed every now and then to show she was still awake and listening. Soon after, they finally drifted off to sleep, their dreams filled with vibrant colours and a cacophony of sounds.

Still unnoticed, the shadowy figure that had trailed them throughout the afternoon, now left the market as fleeting as a spectre, footfall almost inhumanly silent.