Chapter 5

On the day of his scheduled visit, Henry was anxious to see Madame Roxanne. Since meeting Francine, he had never stopped thinking about her. Putting his trust in his new friend, this unheard-of matchmaker, seemed to be the miracle he was looking for. Henry glanced at the card again that was given him to make sure he was at the correct address. He looked up at the historic building which lay heavenly above him. Even so majestic as it looked, however, Henry found it hard to believe that Miss Roxanne lived here, in a neighborhood not so different from his own. Indeed, the intersection between Barnes and Smith was a not so charming area. It was dirty and congested with the city's wretched, poor immigrant families, holding to that constant romantic atmosphere of pursuing after that American dream. Surely, Miss Roxanne was a woman who traveled and dressed well, but also must have the means to live quite comfortably, too, he questioned. Henry proceeded through the door and came into a shabby lobby. It had furniture and coffee tables that were covered with cloths, collecting dust along with the closed shutters. It was dark, and only the grand staircase remained lit. After passing the front desk, Henry was about to go upstairs when he heard voices above him. An elderly man and woman were arguing and yelling in a different language. There were also children playing and crying in the background as he went up.

"Hey!" called out a deep imposing voice behind him, prompting Henry to turn around.

"Who do you think you are?" asked the man who suddenly appeared before him behind the front desk. He was a round, heavy-built man who had a glorious thick moustache.

"Well? Are you going to answer me or wait till I bake you a cake?" the man asked sarcastically.

"I am looking for Madame Roxanne, Sir," Henry finally answered. "I believe she is on the sixth floor?"

"You mean that new wild harpy that moved upstairs weeks ago? You a friend of hers or here for another delivery?" asked the man.

"Yes, friend," answered Henry.

"She's been having a lot of things moved up lately, hiring all these people and deliveries. Making a bunch of noises and thinks I run some hotel when she rings me. Alright, hold on, I'll make her come down to get you. I might as well collect her rent while I am at it too."

"Oh, it's perfectly alright. I think I can find her door," Henry protested.

"Nonsense, you stay... It's about time I give her a talking to," the man interrupted as he escorted Henry to an old sofa. The man then moved for the mounted phone on the wall, picked up the receiver and dialed while smiling at him.

By the time the call was received, the man's face lit up with joy upon hearing Eris' voice.

"Morning Princess! I have another one of your guests here. Why don't you come down and bring..." the man said before the other end interrupted him with a quick commanding utterance, then a silence before he could retort her. A rage came over him as he grumbled to himself, hanging up the receiver forcefully.

"So that's how she wants it? Alright, let's go. She wants me to escort you up," he remarked, irritated. As Henry got up and started toward the stairway, the man touched him on the shoulder and told him to use the newly renovated elevator with him.

"It was a deathtrap until your rude friend had it renovated," the man said, closing the gate in front of them and pulling the lever. As the ascension began, the gears ticked and clanked as the slow sound of old metal rubbed against each other like a factory.

"She came knocking on my door one day and wanted me to personally fix it. And when I said this thing was broken, she demanded that I find a mechanic. And when I told her that it's never been attempted, she handed me money telling me to call the one in the paper she'd found instead. I thought it was a joke until she personally brought him over, and in two days, this thing was running again in tip-top shape."