Chapter 16: Fake Sick in a Demented World

Isabeth's nose stung from the stringent tang of alcohol staining the white cabinets and tile floors. She crossed her legs, sitting erect on the examination table. It was happening! She was about to do this, fulfill her first task. She sucked in air like a guppy that misjudged the height of its leap, splatting on the dry surface of a stool. She firmly gripped the cushion like she was clinging to life; trying to hold tightly to the principles she held so dear; honesty, compassion, and integrity. Was she doing the right thing? Was the reward more important than the deed? Faith's life was hanging in the balance but was a life more important than the anonymous person she was about to hand over to the psychopaths.

You can do this, Isabeth.' She whispered to herself. Clamping her eyes shut, she took another breath and then repeated the words once more for assurance.

The office door swung open, "What brings you in, Isabeth?" Augustus Payson asked with the monotony of a person who's been regurgitating the same combination of words all day. The black-haired, Aegean-eyed middle child who didn't care much about being overlooked sauntered into the examination room quietly closing the door behind him.

Isabeth gazed at the iPad he held to his chest knowing full well he was already privy to the symptoms she gave the nurse earlier. "I'm having some..." She exhaled an exasperated sigh, her shoulders digging forward. "Trouble sleeping."

"Aren't we all," Augustus placed the device on the built-in desk that neared her. "These are...." His voice died as he lifted the stethoscope from around his neck, leering at the taupe wall behind her. "Troubling times."

Isabeth nodded faintly. Of all the Payson clan, it was Augustus who had been the most worried about Faith. The Payson Patriarch floated in and out of reality, having Alzheimer's prevented him from fully grasping that his only daughter was missing. Faith's mom assured her that Faith was just rebelling and throwing a tantrum since her trust fund stipend was no longer in effect. Chance, Faith's older brother was on a book tour but made sure to say a prayer for his sister and roped in his Twitter followers to do the same. Kelly, had flown in the day he got word that his little sister was missing and the next day he chartered a plane believing that there was one place Faith could be and it was Los Angeles. After turning every stone and reaching out to every contact he had in the Golden State he concluded that Faith had to be in the Caribbeans. Presently he was in Antigua ensuring Faith had to be there because she loved the sun and sand. Isabeth knew that was just something Faith told people to keep them from guessing the real location of her haven. She was a southern girl at heart and if she'd disappear anywhere it's been to the townhouse she brought in Louisiana.

Augustus, however, had been on the front lines of every search party—right beside her. He'd even manned the phone banks after his work shift was done

"I'll be meeting with the FBI agent assigned to Faith's case," Augustus, hooked the stethoscope in her ears and then touched the fridge chest piece against her skin, she shivered from the contact. "I'm meeting with her later today."

Isabeth slightly nodded trying her best to keep her heartbeat steady, "Good to hear."

"Hmm." Augustus sounded listening to the hard thud of her heart. "A little fast."

"Is that bad?" Isabeth peered at him, seeing the uncanny resemblance of her hand with Faith's; light caramel hue with a small sprinkle of freckles streaming across the cheeks and nose. "Should I be worried?"

"No," He backed away from her placing the stethoscope back around his neck, "Stress and lack of sleep can raise the heart rate but it is something that is managed"

Isabeth nodded folding her arms tightly, in the back of her head she knew getting her stress level down was going to be a tall order. Not with Faith missing and Alex M.I.A.

"Normally, I'd tell my patients to get some exercise, brew a cup of chamomile or maybe some kava but...." He massaged the stubble along his jawline as if it would help him think better, "Given our...your situation, I'm going to prescribe something. Have you ever taken Xanax?"

"No."

"It can be somewhat addictive so I want you to only take it when you need it." He squared his shoulders, giving her his best fatherly gaze. "One tonight, for sure but pace yourself and there will be no refill so try to relax as much as possible." He patted her shoulder. "Just let me step out and gather you up a couple of pamphlets and I'll be back." He started for the door.

Isabeth slid off the table, "You don't have to do that. I'm sure your nurse can handle all that."

"Isabeth, your family." He opened the door. "I'll be right back." He exited and shut the door behind him.

Isabeth's eyes went to the iPad resting on the desk. She quickly picked it up. The hospital's interface shined on the screen along with the words username and password. The username was already filled in: APayson85 but the password wasn't typed in. Augustus was a simple man, of patterns and routine. 

She once saw him input his password before as a resident three years ago and she knew he'd rarely change it. As her fingers swiftly typed she discovered he, Augustus still loved that movie that he declared incited him to be a doctor—Gross Anatomy. Gotta love a man who finds his calling at ten and sticks to it. She was in and she was about to do what she needed to do; right or wrong. 

Do you think Isabeth made the right decision by using Augustus to get the records she needs for The Messenger?

Who's name do you think will be on the list?