23

*Chapter 23*
~Months later, the beginning of August~
-Alexander's POV-

I come down the stairs from being on my laptop and find Ethan sitting on the couch, watching tv. But it seems more like he's zoned out. The marks on his neck still clearly visible from the night we had last night. I smirk slightly just from remembering.

But as Ethan turns and looks at me, his face is the same as it has been for weeks. The way it he has been looking at me. Is our relationship spiralling? Did I do something?

I glance at his lap to find a paper, folded neatly. He looks at the paper then back at me, and pats the cushion on the couch next to him. Making my way over, I sit next to him.

"I applied for college." Ethan said after a few moments of silence.

I suck in my breath. He is leaving me.

"They were hesitant to accept me due to not being able to finish high school. But they found out I'm in Washington and they know the.. laws. So they accepted me." He continues.

"Why." I ask. "Why are you leaving me."

"Alexander. Before I was made to be auctioned off, I had dreams. I wanted to finish high school and then go into College. I want to be a doctor. And now I can. Cant you see that?" He pleads.

"Where is it? What college?" If its close I can go with him.

"Maryland. Johns Hopkins University."

I sigh in defeat. "When do you leave?" I ask.

"My flight is tomorrow. Noon." Ethan looks down

"Can we spend today together at least?"

He nods. "Tonight I have to pack. You can help if you'd like."

I look at the time. It's already noon.

"Let's make the best of today." I sigh.

Noting we are both already dressed, I run upstairs and grab our shoes. I throw his pair down to him and quickly slip on mine. When I make it back downstairs, he has his on. Holding his hand, we walk out the door.

"Where are we going?" Ethan asks.

"First, the park. When I first decided I was into you. Where you asked me out. But we're going by car because we have other stops."

He slides into the passenger seat as I slide into the drivers seat. I start the engine after buckling up and we're off.

"How did you pay for it?" I ask.

"I started saving the money your mom kept giving me and the money I got from my job."

He's been planning this.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I knew you would try and talk me out of it. Because you can't go with me. You have a life here. Your family. But I have things I need too."

I park the car and we get out. We go into the park and start along the trails. He slowly starts falling ahead of me and I grab his wrist gently. Turning him around, I look at him.

"Im going to miss you." I whisper and put one of my hands on the side of his neck and the other on his waist.

"I'll miss you too but-" I cut him off by putting my lips on his. But his arms remain limp by his body.

I pull back and look at him. Ethan looks up at me, his eyes teary. So instead of kissing him again, forcing our relationship. I put my arms around him and hug him. It's the only friendly gesture I know how to do anymore.

And we stay like that for a good amount of time.

//Time Skip because theres nothing more to say on that part and instead of making two short chapters this is easier //

Ethan throws his backpack onto his back and holds the two suitcases as he stands up from the very uncomfortable airport chairs. I stand up with him. He looks at me.

"This is it.." I say

"This is it." Ethan confirms.

I pull him into a tight hug and close my eyes, trying not to cry in front of him. But I hear a sniffle, he is crying.

"Flight 108 will be taking off in 20 minutes. Start boarding now." A woman speaks into the intercom. Ethan has to leave me.

"Goodbye." He sighs and lets go of me.

"Text me sometimes. Goodbye, Ethan." I bite my lip.

With that he nods and turns around with his suitcases and bag, heading towards the woman with the plane papers in his hands. She checks the paper and hands it back to him.

And without a glance back at me, he enters the hallway area that leads to the plane and he's out of sight.

***A/N AHHHHH thats the last proper chapter before the epilogue. PLOT TWIST HUH? WASNT EXPECTING THAY. HAPPY ENDING WHO? I DONT KNOW HER.
Aha but im sorry i guess ?? I just. Happy endings arent my thing ((:   Xoxo Kat ***