Chapter 33

***************

***************

(Dristan's POV)

"Mate..." I choked, my tone thick with raw emotion.

Stunned silence stretched across the expansive room as my mate and I continued staring at each other.

Her mossy colored left eye and indigo colored right eye seemed to see straight into my soul. I couldn't breathe. My legs had given out as I'd felt her soul connect with mine. I stared up at her as she stood on the slab of stone, trying, and failing, to recall a time when I'd ever knelt before anyone.

I couldn't quite comprehend what was happening around me as my dragon roared with carnal joy and excitement inside of my mind.

Brenya, Brenya, Brenya...
Mate, Mate, Mate...
Mine, Mine, Mine...

He knew... All this time, he knew... Even if neither of us had fully realized it. His instant liking to her, his unmanageable urge to protect her, his constant anxiety when she wasn't with us...

His erratic behavior, which had frustrated me to maddening ends, now made complete sense. My dragon could sense that she was my mate, even if I wasn't able to.

I didn't realize the truth before now because her human form had been suppressing her true self. The mate bond had drawn us together, but it wasn't able to make itself known, or snap into place, because she hadn't been in her true form yet.

All the times I'd touched her, yearned for her, told her that she was mine... They had been because of this. She was my mate.

And now that my dragon and I knew the truth... Every primal instinct in my body was screaming at me to take her. Right here, right now. I had to claim her. Naturally, the act of intimacy sealed the bond. And if you put off sealing the bond for long, it could get very dangerous.

It caused the instinct of protectiveness and possessiveness to escalate into maximum overdrive. Males were known to kill others for coming too close to their mates in the first few weeks of the bond. Even now, as several male members from the crowd had their eyes on her, I felt my desire to end their lives.

She was mine.

But how? No one had ever been mated outside of their race before. There was no record of there ever being a Dragon and Fae mate bond. It was completely unheard of. How was this possible?

"What the fuck did you just say?!" Ronan growled, moving toward me from across the stage.

Threat, Threat, Threat...
Kill, Kill, Kill...

Reluctantly, I tore my eyes away from Brenya and glared at Ronan from beneath my brows, baring my teeth, trying desperately to contain my instinctual drive to rip his head from his body. If he made one wrong move, I was not sure I'd be able to stop myself from killing him.