Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

Halloween wasn't until Tuesday, three days away. Eric recommended that Tommy and Ed get flashlights as he would for himself and weapons, too. Tommy said he'd bring an axe.

"You can't bring an axe," Eric said.

"Why not?"

"Because you might hurt one of us."

"Don't you trust me?"

Eric ignored the question. "No axe."

"You were the one who wanted to bring weapons," Tommy said.

"Not an axe. Something appropriate."

"Like?"

Eric shrugged. He knew what he would bring. "A baseball bat or something."

"It doesn't matter," Ed said. "The only way to stay safe is to stay out of that house."

"We'll be looking out for each other."

"And the house will be all around us, like those dark walls."

Eric wanted to get out of Ed's room, get back into his own. Ed had always been a good friend-more responsible than Tommy when it came to borrowing action figures or a baseball glove, but always more reluctant to do things outside of his room, to explore the unknown, to search for adventure. Ed preferred his bedroom to any other location. That attitude had infected the room like a gas that felt very heavy. If Eric didn't leave soon, he'd have to sit down and then he'd end up on the floor and then hours would pass. Eventually, he'd become like Ed, stuck and afraid.

Something was emanating off of Ed, something toxic. Cowardice, Tommy would have said. It wasn't that simple. Ed was afraid but this feeling of offness about his friend went deeper than fear. The house wasn't the reason; it was the cause. With invisible fingers, the house had reached into Ed's body and began pulling it apart. That Ed had actually entered Hudson House was amazing.

Ed said no more and Tommy and Eric left. Tommy commented several times on the walk back about what a fag Ed was but Eric didn't take the bait. He felt better walking away from Ed's house; the gas had cleared, making it easier to think. The sun had set while they were in Ed's room; a chilly October evening had settled in.

Eric didn't realize he and Tommy had turned onto Mangle Lane until they stood in front of Hudson House. Eric rubbed his eyes. Was this a dream? How had they gotten here? The house stood out from the night, its outline definite and pronounced but also completely dark. The house should have vanished into the night but it stood out, as if the night couldn't conceal it. That didn't make sense, but at least the third floor windows were empty.

Tommy stared at the house and a smile stretched his cheeks. When Tommy stepped onto the tall, yellow grass of the front lawn and dry leaves crinkled beneath his sneakers, Eric grabbed his arm. "You said Halloween."

"Relax," he said. "We're not going in. We're just checking it out."

"Why?"

"Think of it as a military mission. Before we can attack the house, we've got to know what we're dealing with. We'll check around back, the yard, whatever. We won't go inside, don't worry." He added something under his breath that might have been fag.

"It's dark."

Tommy laughed and shook his head. He withdrew a lighter from his pocket and showcased the small flame. The light didn't reach farther than the two of them but it wouldn't do to explain that to Tommy. His eyes glimmered in the flickering flame.

Eric followed Tommy across the yard next to the slate walkway toward the porch. The four pillars leading from the porch to the roof were giant fangs in an enormously dark mouth. Tommy headed toward that mouth for a moment and then diverted away to the left corner of the house. The crunching leaves could have been firecrackers.