Chapter 16

Beep—Beep—Beep—

Early morning jarring blasts are necessary for someone like me. I hit the snooze.

Six fifteen in the morning and just like clockwork, intoxicating smells of roasting coffee and freshly baked muffins permeate my room. The faint sound of music comes from downstairs in the kitchen where Aunt Amy is probably mixing waffle batter.

Lying motionless with my head still groggy, all I really want to do is go back to sleep. But not today. Aunt Amy will be stuck in the kitchen managing all cooking duties because Mrs. Sheffield is away for the weekend visiting her great grandchildren. Having filled in for her once before, I know I have to get my mind right. Working as a waitress feels a lot like living in a pinball machine, being swatted back and forth between the customers, the kitchen and the register.

Beep—Beep—Beep—

"Okay, okay, I'm up," I say to the obnoxious, little box on the stand.

*********

On Saturdays, the doors open at seven and there's always a crowd waiting. This morning was no different. Taking orders, clearing dishes and pouring coffee all while still trying to find small moments to talk to the customers makes the time fly by. We must have already served twenty groups of people. 

When I glance out to check on Spencer, I see a familiar figure talking with him. Dropping a hand full of empty plates at the sink, I'm anxiously rush to to front of the cafe and swing open the screen door. "Hi, Mrs. Morris," I say. 

"Good Morning, Mackenzie. This is such a quaint little place and what a nice young man out there," she says, her tone much gentler than our first run-in. "He says he's your brother?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Well, seems he takes after his sister. Such good manners. And you know how much I value good manners," she says with a smirk.

"I do.  But I just don't know if you're the best judge of such things. After what happened yesterday?" I say, grateful we are meeting on better terms.  "That wasn't exactly Vincent's finest hour.  In fact, for some reason, and I'm not sure why, it was one of his worst."  

"Well, that was a little different. In any case, I'm holding out hope for that friend of yours. Maybe he'll think twice before bothering with us old folks."

"I can assure you, Ethan and I will make sure of it." I escort Ms. Morris a table on the dining patio. "I'm so glad you decided to check out my Aunt's place."

"I'm not one to turn down an offer to try out a new eatery, my dear. So, tell me, what's good here?" she asks.

"Everything. But I may be bias. I think everything she makes is amazing," I say, as she settles into her seat by the screened window.

Mrs. Morris glances over the menu, studying it carefully.  "Gluten-free waffle sandwich? How interesting."

"De—lic—ious. If you've never tried one, you will definitely have to come back for lunch. Freshly carved, roasted turkey topped with chutney sauce. It's my fav. How about some coffee or juice to get you started?"

"Sold.  Coffee it is." 

I practically skip to grab her a freshly brewed cup, realizing she seems to have forgiven Vincent.

Aunt Amy passes by with a plate full of food for the Tucker family when she spots Mrs. Morris. New faces are her Achilles' heel—she'll stop whatever she's doing for a quick introduction that never ends up being quick.