31. How am I now

Tris gives me her jacket. She finds a red baseball hat in the backseat. I put it on too. Only my face is visible.

It's five p.m.

The sun has almost entirely set, the sky a swollen pink and darkened orange. I'll only have a few minutes to talk to Adonis before it's time. It's all I need. I make Tristian call the boys to see how Richie is doing—Richie's scales are climbing up his face and cheeks, and his hair is capped under scales. Dougie and Lee couldn't get his scales to coil back. Lee got the wands working again, and after stealing car batteries from around the neighborhood, Dougie thought supercharging the wands with more power would stop or slow down Richie's scales.

After a few rounds, Lee determined that the electric zaps were no longer effective.

Richie's time is coming.

And so is mine.

"What do you mean, nothing, Tris?" I demand, banging my hand on the door armrest, my hand throbbing. There's a dent in the plastic frame where my hand hit the armrest. I didn't mean to hit the door that hard, and I apologize to Tristian.

Tristian parks her car and talks to Dougie on the phone. She's smart and keeps the conversation brief and vague. I'm sure she's doing this for my benefit. But I don't want that. I would rather hear the truth. I'm already dead so say it.

Tristian tells Dougie that we'll be back at the laboratory in ten minutes.

Then Dougie sadly mentions our bodies and what to do with them after tonight. They can't let anyone see us like this. They have to work quickly and plan ahead of time. The woods? Bury us under a tree, throw our remains in a lake or the ocean?

I hope they pick the option that is the most convenient. I have no say. Mom can't see Richie and me like this. She's lost enough.

I want Tristian to tell my Mom this: We ran away because we're young, adventurous, and self-absorbed teenagers. We'll come back home when we're ready, and we'll always love her no matter what.

And if Mom doesn't believe Tristian's alibi, I'll write a goodbye letter and put it where she'll find it.

Tris ends the call and leans her forehead on the steering wheel. She's done so much for me. I can never repay her. "It didn't work. Lee did everything. Lee changed the battery. He used multiple car batteries and stole power from your neighbor's home. Dougie said it might have something to do with Number Two. Maybe Number Two is adapting? I don't know. Every time they zap Richie, his scales grow back quicker. It's not worth it anymore." Tristian's head hangs low, and she stares at my new body and not me. She softly exhales, frustrated, reaching for her finished milkshake. She shakes the cup, slurping the last of her drink.

I bite my lips, so I don't cry, realizing what I'll lose when this is all over.

I pinch my wrist, watching Number Twelve's scales hastily tense against my opposition. A reminder that Number Twelve is in control and what befell his brother, Number Two, will not happen to him.

After a second-two, the tightness constricting my wrist fades. I curse, hating what I'm becoming.

"Where's Adonis?" Tris turns off the car headlights and lowers the volume on the radio.

"Adonis is on the football bleachers. I told him to wait for me there."

I called Adonis an hour ago and rushed him into meeting me at school. I told Adonis I wanted to talk outside. Adonis thinks we're going to Spring Formal, though he is upset he couldn't escort his date to the dance like a gentleman.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come? I don't want to leave you alone." Tris isn't taking any of this well, as she shouldn't be. Her best friend is hours away from dying, and there's nothing she can do about it.