GHOST OF YOU

17| Sarah's Final Cry

My black dress lay firm, my purse and hat folded on my lap as the car bounced across the stones in the driveway. Absently, my free hand played with the necklace around my neck.

"Where did you get that?" My father asked curiously.

I glanced at him, seeing something else hidden behind the look. "A friend gave it to me" I replied as he turned his eyes back to the road.

"Now I don't know if you know but the Mayor has a son and a daught-" he began to say.

"Yes, I know, I met them on my first day of school... Luke seemed alright but Makayla hated me" I replied, tilting my head to watch the trees roll by.

"I'm glad you wore a black dress, it's going to be a sad day" my father said, changing the subject.

"Why?" I asked, looking at him.

"One of the shops in town burnt down and the woman was in it" he replied.

A sense of horror and terror ran through me. "Which shop?" I asked, desperately.

"Just a crystal shop owned by Sarah Peakes, sadly everything was lost and her body was recovered this morning" he said, glancing at me.

He frowned. "Did you know her?" He asked.

I stared down at my hands as they began to shake. "She was helping me with my school assignment" I replied as tears blurred my vision.

"Oh I'm sorry, darling"

"Pull over" I said quickly.

"What?" Dad asked.

"Pull over!" I yelled.

The steering wheel jerked and Dad slammed his foot on the brakes, I pushed open my door and undid my seat belt. I bent over just in time to throw up.

I was breathing loudly, Dad climbing out and walking to my side of the vehicle. "What's wrong?" He asked, touching my back gently.

"Dad I was there last night, last night I was in that shop!" I exclaimed before bending over and throwing up again.

He patted my back awkwardly. Taking deep breaths, I calmed my turmoil of a stomach. "Was it lit on purpose?" I asked, turning my head to look at him.

Dad shrugged his shoulders. "I have no idea" he replied.

After a minute of fresh air, we climbed back into the car and continued into town. We passed the bus stop where I had last seen the written words of Sarah Peakes, telling me she was never going to see me again.

Somehow, she knew she was going to die.

The church seemed full and chatter flowed among the occupants as my father led me through the still gathering crowd. I ducked my head to shy my eyes away from people I recognised at school.

Tugging my father's sleeve, he turned around. "I'm just going to go to the bathroom and you know drink some water" I said quickly.