[O N E]

|xxx|

|xxx|

For a moment, the world around her stopped. The harsh sound of the wind forcing the spindly trees to come crashing against the nearest window had seemingly faltered, and the furious chain of swear words and insults which Maddox Ciane and Sadie Ciane-Bei seemed to be exchanging had suddenly died down.

Practically everything was entranced by the  dulcet melody which escaped every second her long fingers dared to push down against the black and white piano keys.

And then, just seconds after the melody faded away, it all came flooding back - as if someone had hit the rewind button on a remote control. Maddox and Sadie's fighting had returned within an instant, and as for the sound of the raging wind abusing the frail trees, well, it only came back louder.

Jessica couldn't help but let a groan escape from her lips. Her fingers came crashing down onto the piano keys, however this time, instead of something silverly and particularly pleasant, an irksome sound raced around the living room, before quickly dying away.

The fighting once again stopped, but it was only followed by the sound of thundering footsteps bolting up the stairs, and a rather fierce slam of a door - fierce enough to send it off its hinges.

"That wasn't bad playing."

Jess immediately swivelled around on the piano stall, allowing a small smile to form on her lips. "Thanks, Dad."

Maddox returned the smile, pulling up another stool so that he could sit adjacent to his daughter. "Anything for my little firework."

And then the dreaded silence engulfed the room. Albeit Jess was used to it, considering her father was (most of the time) never in the house and her older siblings, Forest and Lynette, had long since moved out. Jess was considered the "Baby" of the Ciane household, and therefore Sadie did everything in her power to keep her safe, even when she wasn't even in that much danger.

"I'm sorry you had to hear me and your mother fighting." Maddox broke the silence, exhaling slightly. "She's just stressed about me constantly having to head to Atlas to sort out everything with the general. I don't blame her. She has to protect you and provide for all of us."

"But I don't need protecting." The redhead piped up, averting her gaze from her twiddling thumbs to her father. "Just two days ago I turned sixteen Dad. I'm capable of looking after myself. I'm not a baby."

"You are to your mother." Maddox frowned. "She's treasures you, Jessica. To be very honest, you're the only company she ever really has anymore. And even when I come back from work, well, she doesn't even want to look at me!"

Maddox balled his fists, brow furrowing as ran his fingers through his chocolate brown hair, which should be considered more grey then brown.

"It's because you're never here." Jess said, rather nonchalantly. "Mom is tired of you going off to Atlas for at least four months and then striding into the house like you never left, before taking off for another four months two days later."

Maddox chewed his bottom lip. As much as he hated to admit it, there was literally no point defending himself this time. Every single word which had fallen from his daughter's lips was true, and it even made him feel a bit guilty.

He cleared his throat, regretting his choice of subject. He scanned for a new one, hoping that his daughter wouldn't fire him down again for the lack of time he spent with his family.

"How's that boyfriend of yours? What's his name, Omar?" Maddox asked, allowing a small smile to form on his lips.

"It's Ollie, Dad. And he's not my boyfriend." Jess frowned, although a small blush had creeped onto her cheeks the moment her father had referred to Ollie as her boyfriend.

"Ah, yes, Ollie!" Maddox grinned. "See, I was on the right lines, wasn't I?"

"Hardly."

The redhead couldn't believe this. Her own father didn't even know the name of her best friend, whom she had been close with for over seven years now.

"Isn't he headed to Haven this year?" Maddox questioned, dragging the stool closer so that he could wrap his arm around her.

Jess flinched slightly at the feeling of her father's arm around her - yes, Maddox had hugged her on numerous occasions whilst she was younger, but now the feeling just felt unfamiliar, foreign. She nodded, providing the answer to his question whilst she tucked a strand of her hair behind one ear.

"You're going to miss him, aren't you?"

"Of course I am. He's my best friend. Of course I'm going to miss him. He's my everything and it's going to be one lonely year without him. He's seventeen and literally two days ago I turned sixteen. And by the time I start he'll be in his second year. I probably won't run into him that much anyways." She shook her head, sighing softly.

"Jessica." Maddox placed his hand on her cheek. "There's something I need to tell you."

"Let me guess. You got a raise?" Jess folded her arms, ready to hear him go on a long rant about how happy he was that he got a raise.

Yet that long rant didn't come.

"What? No."

"Mom's pregnant?"

"Are you crazy?! No! I've literally had to sleep on the couch for the past few weeks that I came back."

"Maybe you snore too much." The younger stated, a faint smile working it's way onto her lips.

Maddox flushed. "No, Jessica! This has nothing to do with me, nor your mother. This is about you."

"Me? That's... a surprise." And a surprise it was. Whenever her father spoke of something important, it was usually about work or Sadie for that matter - never something concerning his youngest daughter.

Maddox nodded. "You see, on my way back here I was ordered to do a quick checkup on the state of Haven by the General. Whilst I was there, well, me and Leonardo got into a conversation. A conversation about you."

"That's... a little bit concerning."

"Oh, no! It isn't concerning at all. Leonardo has two more spaces open at Haven, and he wants you and another girl from Sanctum to come to Haven one year early."

"One year early?" Jess's irises broadened. "But why me? Surely somebody else could take my space? I'm not that great of a fighter. I'm below average."

"Firework, don't put yourself down like that. You did exceptionally well during your exams at Sanctum - so did the other girl. Professor Lionheart believes that both of you should skip your next year at Sanctum and just head to Haven now, considering your skills are rivaling that of those who are attending this year."

"I-I'll think about it." The redhead commented. "Who is the other girl?"

"I believe her name is Gina or Julia or something like that. She decided to think about it as well, but she eventually accepted." Maddox chuckled slightly.

Jess nodded slowly, before getting to her feet, swinging a dark green backpack over her shoulder. "I should get going. I promised Ollie I'd meet him outside Kelly's at six."

With a small wave, she said her goodbyes before rushing outside, the door slamming shut behind her. Maddox let out an audible sigh, before burying his head into his hands.

"I'm so sorry."