Chapter 35

Instead of a part one and part two, why not shove it all down in one posting and be done with it.

Chapter 35

Help

It was no surprise that the supposed-vacation-turned-nightmare came to a sudden end. The seaside villa abandoned, we went back home as if in a worse state from when we left.

And during the ride, the expansive forest we drove through had lost its magical charm. We sat there in tense silence. As if words had no more room in the thick tension inside the car. And though Zachary didn't seem to realize, his grip on the steering wheel was knuckle-white. A muscle continued to jump on his cheek.

I'd tried to ignore it the last two hours. I did. I tried to sleep, listen to the radio and even just sit in a comfortable position but all to no avail. My attention incessantly returning to my husband as he manuevered the car.

And my mind coming back to this morning.

Mara let out a frustrated sound, catching our attention. "I'm all for helping her remember. Sure," she made quotation marks at the word 'helping' before glaring at Zachary. "But how do you plan to do that? Are you just gonna tell her everything on the spot? Where do you even plan to start? Do you mean to tell her all at once come hell or high water? Good luck with that. You'll need it."

I raised my head in Mara's direction before turning back to Zach.

Zach barely glanced at his friend, his attention still on me. "You know it wouldn't be like that. I'm not stupid, Mara. Of course, I'll be careful."

Mara raised her hands in agitation, "you'll be careful? Mind explaining to me how careful works because I want to hear it."  She continued to push.

And as if her tone was only now getting through to him, Zach stood up to turn to Mara. He stood partly in front of me as if to shield me as he addressed his friend. They stared at each other in silence until Zach breathed out a sigh.

"I don't know yet," Zach said finally. "I'll have to observe her, see how she reacts. I'll start small with the lightest details and if she turns out fine maybe--"

That wasn't the answer Mara was looking for. Her face reddened, eyes sharpened. She shook her head, running a shaking hand through her hair. "Maybe? Do you know how stupid that is? That's not how these things go, Zachary! You can't just play these things by ear! Do you know why psychiatrists develop programs for these things? Do you know why professionals spend years studying psychological disorders just to come up with acceptable routines we could apply on patients?"

"Because apparently, your program is working so well with her." Zachary cut in quietly.

"Zachary," Marcus warned, suddenly stepping into the conversation.

"Don't say that," I added too. My hand lifted to grab Zachary's shirt to stop him. That was a low blow. I looked at Mara imploringly.

And Mara did look like she was struck. Something she quickly recovered from as she composed herself and assumed a pose similar to Zachary's. Her gaze levelling to my husband's.

"It seems to me you're forgetting a crucial fact in this whole fiasco," her lips lifted in a slow and emotionless smirk. "She's pregnant. Or have you completely forgotten about the baby? Because why not? Let's risk the child in the process too."

I was jerked into the present as I recognized the highrise coming up. We were back at the penthouse it seemed. Zachary drove into the underground parking lot and it was only then that he turned to me. Just a glance before he faced front again.