E P I L O G U E

KAI

With a shriek aimed at Sid, the beast rose high above the heavens. Circling the skies, the clouds parted and its movement halted. Head turned upward, its enormous mouth widened, and out came a ball of cold white light. Screeching, it resumed circling around the orb not wanting to relinquish its hold.

"Let it go. Release her." Mayari magically popped out of nowhere. The beast answered with a shrill wail that silenced the woman. Not sparing a glance at the goddess behind Sid, Mayari spoke after a minute of pause. "A trade?"

"It is not your place but I might listen," Sid answered. A silent exchange between them occurred.

What have they decided?

"If you become human what guarantee is there that we'll find each other. This world isn't that kind. However, if we both atone for our mistakes, perhaps a new path would open for us?" Mayari turned her attention back to the serpent. "I know I am asking for too much again but will you wait for me? Stay as you are and when the time is right and fate allows, come find me again. Granted another life, I would love to spend the rest of it with you."

Its movement stopped and down it flew. The frightening beast shattered and lit the night with billions of sparkling lights. In the place of the dragon appeared a woman with long white hair. Her silver slitted eyes trained on Mayari alone, she was robed in scales. Faint lines of it covered the back of her hands. "I'll wait."

The glowing white orb touched the ground. It dispersed to reveal a small woman with pale skin and raven hair. Sitting on the ground, in her arms, she held Arrah who looked peaceful as she slept.

No!

Shifting, my weak legs dragged as I walked on wobbling towards Arrah. My heart hurt from the sorrow I would not let out. Not a tear escaped. I stumbled and fell on my knees before I could reach them.

"Arrah!" Still, she did not stir. I don't care anymore. I quickly crawled the rest of the way to her. My mate looked so pale. Almost lifeless.

The woman turned her over to me. I was chilled as the coldness from mate's body seeped through. Wiping away the hair covering her face, I called to her again trying to wake her.

"Please, open your lovely eyes." Her long lashes didn't move as her eyelids remained closed. Pulling her to my lap, I tried to warm her up with a hug but it was useless. I caught her hand and placed it against my cheek but still, she remained cold to the touch. "I love you so much. And, I haven't told you enough. I should have told you every day and every chance I got."

I could not save her again!

Caressing the cheek I was so used to kissing good morning and goodnight, I could not bear to send her away. Kissing our mate mark on her hand, I knew I could not let her go. I gently kissed her lips and then rested my forehead against hers. "I won't be far. There's no need to be afraid anymore. Soon, I'll follow you to wherever you are, Arrah."

* * *

"Nadia..." I craned my neck trying to find my little girl. "Where's my little wolf pup at? Nadia?"

I heard her toys being dragged on the floor but still, she didn't answer. At two years old, she's playful. She had mother's laugh and her smile reminded me so much of my mate that it was difficult to look away.

"My pup's not here?" I said, "Well, then I'm gonna have to go and find myself a new one."

There's still an hour before the last class of the day ends and my co-teachers were still preoccupied with their classes. Lucky. It's just that my schedule today was free. I sometimes bring Nadia to school with me. She's mostly well-behaved and the school was a little lenient with me. As long as Nadia didn't interfere with the class, I could bring her with me.