Chapter Thirty-Three: Petro Offends

Please Note: As a reminder, this story is rated PG-13. This chapter includes references to a topic which falls under the umbrella of "mature themes."

Over dinner that evening Marcus announced that this would be their last night in Byford Augusta. Petro was a little surprised, until he realized Marcus' eagerness had to do with the strange woman who had accosted them. The idea of danger to Aurelia was actually harder for Marcus to bear than the knowledge that going home meant telling his father and his nephew about Gaius’ death.

Marcus appeared to want to spend the evening with Aurelia on his lap and Muberry by his side. Petro, however, wanted some fun. It would relax him. Besides, Petro had been planning to enjoy his time in Byford Augusta, and been thwarted by such duties as babysitting; at last, this was his chance. He tried to convince Marcus to go with him. Petro didn’t expect Marcus to agree; Marcus didn’t.

Petro whistled as he strode down the street in the twilight. A few early stars poked their way through the darkening sky, and the air was still warm despite the autumnal scent on the breeze. Down this street, and then left up ahead, and he would be at the larger, gaudier inn that offered a wider variety of entertainments than the place where they were staying. The copper coins in his grip told him that he would enjoy his time there, too. He hoped the girls were pretty.

He turned the corner, brushing the rough bark of a large tree with his fingers. There was a rustle from the branches above, and a dark shape loomed before him. A moment later and the tall, thin Flora, Tsuga, stood before him. She wore her uniform cloak, but was otherwise in civilian garb, a cream-coloured dress hanging down nearly to her sandals.

“H-hi, Flora Tsuga,” he stuttered, the wind ruffling his blond hair.

She narrowed her eyes at him, “Where are you going, Petro?”

“Oh, just to enjoy my evening,” he said with a smirk, “And just why is that a concern of yours, Flora Tsuga?”

“I am supposed to be protecting you. Flora Salix and I are to watch over you and Marcus Marius and Mulberry and the baby,” she said, “You know that.”

“I do know that. What I don’t know, is why.”

“You know I can’t answer that, Petro,” Tsuga replied, looking at the ground.

“Hmph,” Petro replied, pushing past her.

“Hey! Where are you going?”

“I told you,” Petro said, spreading his arms out as he turned to face her, “to actually enjoy my evening.”

“I’d rather you enjoyed it back at the inn, with the others,” Tsuga frowned.

“So you can watch over me? Not likely! Besides, that particular inn doesn’t have the sort of entertainment I’m after.”

“There’s drinking and loud music in the evenings,” she snorted, “What more do you want?”

Petro smirked again, and patted Tsuga’s cheek, “Wine and music are lovely, Flora Tsuga, but neither of them compares to a pretty girl.”

“A pre- Oh.” Tsuga blushed slightly, making a face.

“What, you don’t approve?”

Tsuga rolled her eyes, “And what does it matter to you if I don’t?”

Petro shrugged, “I’m curious. And I can see you don’t approve.”

“You’re right. I don’t approve. In fact, it’s sort of disgusting. It’s potentially dangerous too, of course. My life is a lot easier if you just stay where you’re supposed to stay.”

Petro smiled. “Your life is easier? Do you mean you’ll watch over me wherever I go, Flora Tsuga? Even if I go to that brothel?”

Tsuga wrinkled her nose, “It’s my job. Senior Salix assigned watching you to me. I don’t want to go to that awful place, but if I must, I must.”

“It isn’t that awful. You really should come in and see. I understand they have a nice little tavern up front, and the rooms behind and upstairs are neat and clean. That’s the rumour in the marketplace, anyhow.”

“I don’t care how neat and clean it is. It’s the principal of the thing.”

“Hey, hey, it isn’t like I have a sweetheart, or a wife who thinks she loves me. And like I said, what does it matter to you?”

Tsuga tossed her head, “I don’t want to have to follow you in there, even as a bird.”

“Well, you know, Flora Tsuga.” Petro smiled at her, his dark eyes boring into hers, “there is one way you could convince me not to go.”

“Oh, and what is that?”

Petro stroked her cheek gently, pushing a strand of brown hair away from her face. “Well, you’re a pretty girl, Tsuga.”

In a single, fluid motion, Tsuga slapped him, flushing beet red as she did so.

“I am not your doxy, soldier!” she sputtered.

“I didn’t say you were,” Petro replied with a sigh, “I only said you were pretty. And that isn’t the only way I could be convinced.”

“I don’t care now. Go be disgusting, you pig. See if I care.”

“Tsuga!”

“I said I didn’t care,” she repeated, crossing her arms and turning away.

“Look, I won’t go, okay? You don’t want me to go, so I won’t. I don’t want you to be cold and mean towards me like this.”

“It’s sort of hard not to be,” she said, starting to walk back towards the inn where they were staying, “You’re a pig, and you asked me to do . . . things I wouldn’t do even if I were allowed to, and definitely not with you, even if you were the last man on earth!”

“Woah, calm down, Tsuga!” He begged, rushing to catch up to her. He grabbed her arm, pulling her back. She whirled to face him, glaring.

“It was a joke, Tsuga,” he offered. “I didn’t really expect you to do anything. And I like I said, I won’t go in. I’m going home, see?” He took a few steps in the direction of their usual inn. “I don’t know why this is important to you, but look, if it makes you happy, I’m going home, okay?”

“You’re still a pig.”

“Oh, fine. I’m a pig. But I’m a pig who’s going to behave like you want him to. Tonight, at least.”

Tsuga sighed, but fell into step beside him. “Fine,” she said, “but I want you to keep behaving.”

Petro made a face, but with a little sigh of his own, replied, “Yes, ma’am,” and continued to walk off into the night. It was mere moments before they neared the inn, and Petro grasped Tsuga by the arm.

"Please, Flora Tsuga," Petro smiled at her, "Just sit with me a while in the tap room. It will do you no harm, and no one will know what you are. I'll buy you a snack, to make up for me being a jerk." He smirked, then continued, "I won't even proposition you again. On my honour as a member of the Imperial Army."

Tsuga eyed him doubtfully for a long while, but finally she nodded, stepping forward so that her skirts swirled around her, her brown hair catching the moonlight. "Very well, Petro. I shall join you. But I want to hear no nonsense."

“I promise! We'll – hmm, we'll – Ah, I know! Do you play 'hounds'? I saw a game-board in the Tavern.”

“I play.”

“I'd be willing to bet that you can't beat me.”

“Of course you'd make that bet, you're too full of yourself to think otherwise.”

“Hah! Beat you back there!” Petro grinned, and launched into a run. With a small sigh, Tsuga leapt into the air. Once transformed, she silently winged her way back to the inn.