+NINE+

"Unknown to her, she made a mistake that would change her life entirely

"Unknown to her, she made a mistake that would change her life entirely..."

Her room, when she walked into a familiar space, was surprisingly clean. Her bed was made, her quilt sticking out in the calm room, her dresser and desk were dusted, a thin coat of dust recently removed. And as she glanced down at the floor, she felt the soft carpet when she curled her toes. It was exact since the last time she was here, if not cleaner. She was silent like the rest of the apartment when she crept deeper into her room, almost afraid that if she touched anything, she would cause severe damage.

  "You're hesitating," Emmett muttered from the door, watching as his mate jumped slightly at his voice. Ignoring this, he walked forward in her room, looking around at her knickknacks before letting his eyes fall on her form. "There isn't a reason to be hesitant, Dani. Relax." It took a while, but her shoulders, which were tense and pulled taught, fell. Daniella didn't look back at him but instead wandered all around her room, pulling open a drawer and peering inside before closing it. Just small movements, she bubbled in her head. Small movements.

  Emmett snorted behind her, "You're acting as if you're in a museum, woman." It was true and when he said this, she grew a smirk. However, instead of showing him her lips forming into such a shape, she continued on looking around her room. It seemed like it was centuries since she walked in here, she felt like a stranger in this room. In her own home. On the walls throughout the halls, her pictures still laid there, but now Adam was more popular there. Daniella counted st least four new pictures of him. One with him and Summer on the beach in La Push and another of him at his own graduation.

He's part of the family now, her conscious reminded her. He's going to be your brother-in-law. Of course, Adam was a gentleman. She always cared for those around him and had a talent of making anyone smile, but sometimes she got jealous. He was taking away her sister. Her life long best friend. Together the two of them would grow old, they would have children, grandchildren, they would have a big house at the end of a culdesac. A white locket fence would be stretched around their house, a dog would be on the porch, lazily watching as the neighbors passed. She could imagine Summer, heavily pregnant with Adam on her side, kissing her cheek lovingly as they awaited their child or even children.

Unconsciously, Daniella shivered at that idea. Summer would have everything. Daniella's hand fell from its place on her curtains; she wouldn't have that at all. No children. No marriage. No house at the end of the culdesac. She was a vampire, a creature that people feared. The dream of her life was now completely gone. At least I have him, she thought in her head as she finally turned around to face Emmett. His head was buried in an old yearbook of hers. She grinned softly, at least I have you.

  He didn't notice her stare on him, so she turned back around and peered outside the window, noticing how the tree Emmett and many others use to get inside her bedroom was alive again. Its branches colored heavily in different shades of green, the bark a vibrant yet dull brown color. Opening her window with an ugly screech, she leaned outside, making sure no one was around and when no one was, she jumped, catching onto the piece of nature. The grunt that escaped her lips made her mate drawl near her, gasping as he saw her make her into the tree. The tree was hiding her, pulling her away and hiding her from the world. In there, she felt protected. She felt secure.