Chapter Sixteen [The First Time]

The whole world could have been ending outside, but I wouldn't have noticed because in that moment all I could see was her. She made me whole. As long as I had her, I felt invincible. My stomach turned with anticipation as I awaited her next words.

"I'm in love with you too, Spence," she responded without hesitation in her voice.

My shoulders relaxed as the words left her mouth. I sat back and let the happiness soak right into my bones. I wanted the feeling to remain forever. I closed my eyes and savored the moment. For the first time in a long time, my body and mind relaxed. I leaned to press my lips to hers, and her arms wrapped around me. The kiss was soft and sweet. The feeling of her body against mine made me feel so alive. Our bodies fit together like perfect puzzle pieces.

I took her hands. "You ready to get out of here?" I asked, helping her to her feet.

"Yes. Please, let's never come back."

A piece of me wanted to agree with her. I never wanted to come back either, but I had no other choice. I would return on my own, or Cayden would force me to return. A heavy sigh escaped my chest.

"He's not going to hurt you, is he?"

"I don't know."

Her blue eyes swam with concern. "Spence," she whispered in a strained tone.

There was a dull ache in my chest, but I had to stay strong for her. She needed me too. "I'll be fine. I promise."

She interlaced our fingers, and a smile crept onto my face. The happiness swelled inside my chest again as I shoved the white door open. She stepped out into the snow as I glanced back into the apartment. The happiness was short-lived. My chest tightened. This place had been my haven for the past couple of years, but now when I looked at it, all I could see was darkness. It was time for something new.

I pulled the door shut as I stepped out onto the fire escape. The snow crunched beneath my feet. Adrienne stared down the alley with a look of amazement on her face. I followed her eyes, but I didn't see anything special. All I could see was the white layer of snow covering the pavement.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "You good?"

She looked for a minute longer and then glanced at me. "I've never seen snow in person. I'm from southern California. It doesn't snow, like, ever." She touched the snow on the rail of the fire escape. She scooped it up in her hand and watched as it melted. All that was left was a small puddle of water in its place.

I stood beside her unable to stop myself from chuckling at her. Her reaction to the snow was adorable. Even after everything she had been through today, she had a smile on her face and a sparkle in her eyes. Her strength was something that could move mountains. "Ahh . . . my little southern California girl." I shrugged my jacket off my shoulders, placing it around her small frame.

She shivered before starting down the steps. "Don't let me fall, Spence."

I positioned my body behind her and kept my hands out to catch her in case she made a wrong step. "Please be careful," I said with a chuckle.

Her movements were precise as she ran her hand along the rail, knocking the snow to the ground. When we made it to the bottom of the stairs, she laughed. "It's so beautiful. Snow is way prettier in person than in the pictures." Her eyes gleamed with childlike happiness.

I picked up some snow, forming it into a small ball. She had turned away from me to snap a few pictures on her phone, so this was a perfect opportunity. I launched the snowball, hitting her in the shoulder. Adrienne stopped taking photos and dropped her phone into her pocket. She glanced at the snow flakes on my jacket. Then, her eyes flashed to me.