Chapter Four

Violet seemed to settle in easily, she was gradually up on her feet more and more

Violet seemed to settle in easily, she was gradually up on her feet more and more. She helped Hannah where Megan no longer could, she even baked cupcakes with frosting from scratch. Jake was getting jealous of Zack's luck with her.

He strolled into the house they froze hearing Megan scream. Zack took the stairs two at a time and slammed into Violet in the doorway. He caught her arms, bloody towels littered their feet and the floor between them.

"What's happening?"

"Megan's having the baby," she told him softly.

"Zack? Zachary go get your brothers and father!" his mother shouted before Megan screamed again.

Zack pressed a kiss to Violet's head and bolted down the stairs, out the back door. He darted past Malcolm in the yard, skidding to a stop in the barn. The horse whinnied angrily, the pigs snorting which brought his father around from the work table in the back. The rubber boots and apron still protecting his clothes from the blood soaking his hands and arms. Jake looked down from the loft of the barn hearing all the noise despite his hammering.

"Megan's having the baby," Zack told them both.

Jake practically jumped down, skipping steps in the ladder and ignoring the splinters. He took off for the house. Dylan took his time removing the apron and boots then scrubbing his hands in the utility sink.

"That not is always so impatient," his father commented.

"I bet he's going to be rushing her through the delivery," Zack laughed and his father joined him.

"I hope both your girls have an easier time than your mother did with the three of you. We better go tell Malcolm, I'm sure Jacob ran by without telling him."

They stopped Malcolm on his mission around the yard with the dog. He abandoned his game and hurried inside ahead of them. Zack was the last one to the door as Megan cried out again. His parents were whispering while Megan panted and sobbed, she wasn't having an easy birth. His mother always said that meant it would be a boy.

"These Wilcox boys are hard to birth," Hannah told Megan rubbing her white knuckled fists. "Breathe and hang on Megan, you're almost there."

Violet held Megan's hand, wincing every time she screamed. Eventually only Jake and his parents remained in the room. Malcolm played cards with Zack while Violet slowly worked on dinner. Megan's screams were hoarse and farther apart the longer it took.

Finally they heard a baby cry. Malcolm had fallen asleep with his head on Violet's shoulder and she leaned on her arm dozing with him. Zack smiled, she was going to be a great mother. The crying stopped and Megan's scream snapped the other two awake.

The bedroom door slammed, then another. He heard his mother cry out begging their father not to, Megan kept screaming Jake's name and no. Violet's eyes were wide with horror.