XII

Chapter 12 | THE BIRDS

As the light grows increasingly brighter and warm color floods the sky, Henry and I walk fast down the street towards Matthais' house.

We haven't said a word to each other, which I appreciate. I don't know what to say, anyways.

I'm not sure which house belongs to Matthias, but I suppose it will have to have a big yard for the sled dogs.

We walk for about 5 more minutes, towards the end of the village.

The houses here are all built like the tavern, except for the fact that they have many more windows. Their front yards all look to be about equal size.

Except for the one we're nearing, the one at the very end of town. The one where Henry turns to walk towards.

It's a long, icy driveway, and I almost slip and break my tailbone a couple of times.

Henry pretends to not notice my klutzy behavior, but I can tell from the way he shakes his head lightly that he does.

When we finally get to the house, he knocks on the door twice.

The door opens a few moments later, and a short indigenous man who looks to be in his forties steps out dressed even more heavily than me.

After I notice how he's carrying a large black duffle bag that is almost as big as he is, we make eye contact.

He opens his mouth, "John's niece, I'm guessing. I know, I know, I'm short. But, I'm also the man who will get you to that hermit in the woods who you're so desperate to meet. So, that being said, don't mention anything about my height, and I'll make sure you at least have a chance to talk to the probably sociopathic loner. Who, might I add, will probably just end up attacking you with arrows like the stupid sadist he is."

I...don't know what to say. So, I opt for a very complicated and challenging word.

"...Okay," I reply.

Did I look like I thought his height was that noticeable? Was I staring that directly?

"You know he punched me once?" He says.

"I-"

He continues on, "Honestly, why do you even want to go to him? I mean, I get it, for your uncle. That's why I'm helping you out. For your uncle. But, I mean, why would you deliberately even go within a thousand miles of the man?"

"You're within a thousand miles of him."

He sighs, "Yes, well, that's different."

"How so? And why'd he punch you?"

"It just is. Now come along, you have to meet the dogs and learn a few basic things. You can handle learning a few basic things, can't you?"

"...Yeah."