Chapter 22: Sailor's Cove

Collapsing onto my hay bed, I closed my eyes. My fingers gently tracing the branding mark on my forearm that I had gotten my first day at Camp. The large 'C' that had once been an open, raw wound was now healed over. The scar tissue protruded with an unearthly glow to it, alerting anyone that came near that I didn't belong to myself, but to the Camp. Ironically, I had taken up the habit of tracing it whenever I couldn't sleep, or whenever I had a lot on my mind. Like Jax.

My eyes began to burn, and I realized that I was scrunching up my face so tightly in thought that a headache was beginning to form. Rubbing the area between my eyes, I willed the thoughts and questions swirling in my head to rest. Just when I thought I was beginning to understand Jax, new revelations and discoveries would appear, and I would be back at square one trying to figure him out all over again.

I decided that the next time we're alone, truly alone, I'm going to ask him how he ended up at the Camp. Who his parents are and if he had any siblings, how he became a captain under Eli, and most importantly why he stole from the official the first day I arrived at Camp. If he couldn't answer anything else, I at least deserved to know that. He was the reason I was even on this ship, after all.

A loud knock suddenly came from the door. I opened my eyes, wondering who could be outside. Grouch-o was never known for knocking, as he preferred shouting through the wood. And it couldn't be Stew or Carlo, since it wasn't late enough for dinner and they would be allowed topside.

I swallowed, my mouth turning dry. He wasn't at my door, was he?

The possibility of seeing Jax here made my chest ache while my stomach spun itself in circles. With a clammy hand, I pressed the door open to see Stew and Carlo's sweat drenched foreheads gleaming in the low fire light of their lanterns. I smiled, feeling oddly disappointed though I knew I shouldn't.

"Everyone's topside right now, missy." Said Stew. There was a strange spark of excitement in his eyes.

"Why?" I said, confused. Was dinner being served early? That was doubtful, since Grouch-o was manning a one-person kitchen tonight.

"We've reached Sailor's Cove, of course." Said Stew.

"She doesn't know about the Cove, Steward." Carlo said, his voice laced with boredom as he leaned against the side of the wall. Stew must have dragged him to my room once they were let off their shift. The last thing Carlo wanted to do was to hang around with a teenage girl – especially on his night off.

"Oh!" said Stew, the realization suddenly striking him. "I forgot – it's only ya first trip. But after every successful trade capt'n always lets us stop at Sailor's Cove before we return to the mainland. It's a small island just off the coast – pretty little thing, but the soil's only good for growing scrubs and it's too windy for small boats to make trips out to from the mainland, so the Camp doesn't bother with it. Sailors get to use it whenever we want."

"And what do you all do once you get there?" I said. If the Camp has no use for it, then how to the sailors keep themselves entertained?

Stew gave a hearty laugh, the fat on his belly jiggling up and down. Even Carlo gave a low chuckle. There must be some inside joke that I'm not in on.

"You'll see once you get there, missy. But the boats are pulling out now, and if you want to come, you'd better hurry up now." Stew said. Carlo grumbled in agreement, his impatience showing.

I hesitated for a moment, weighing my options. Though I was bone tired from moving the pot of soup for half of the day, I also didn't want to pass up an opportunity to finally get off the ship and feel the earth beneath my feet again. I never thought I'd miss the feeling of being on solid ground – but then again, I never thought my life would have brought me here.