Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Part 2: Chapter 16

Part 2

The Arrows

Dear Cupid,

We have been notified about your potential Match. We regret to inform you that we will have to terminate said Match. We have not yet determined who she is, but we advise you to turn her in to prevent further repercussions.

Surely we need not remind you of the consequences if you, or indeed any cupid, matches. You know what is stated in the company policy. We cannot allow this to happen.

You may now be aware that we have already distributed a number of Capax arrows in your town of residence, and you will have already seen the results of the Ardor. We wanted to be sure you understand how difficult we can make life for you and the residents of Forever Falls if our terms are not met.

More complications will arise if the situation is not soon resolved.

If we cannot terminate the girl, we will come for you even if this requires locating the Finis.

We will give you twenty-four hours to consider our proposition. One of our agents will be waiting for you in the town square.

Drop the girl off at the fountain within the time period—or face the consequences.

Yours Severely, The Arrows

>

Cupid folds the piece of paper and puts it quickly into his jeans pocket. "What does it say?" I ask, pushing myself to my feet and brushing myself off. "Who are the Arrows?"

I look from one brother to the other. There's a different energy in the air now, one of urgency.

"Later," says Cupid. He looks at Cal. "They could still be here. It's too dangerous for Lila to be seen with me. Meet me in the garage. Can I depend on you for this, Brother?"

Cal gives a half nod, his jaw tense. "I will protect her."

I look between them both. Protect me?

I think of the screams by the pool just moments before, and the silver and pink arrow that almost hit me.

"Seriously," I say, "what's happening?"

"There isn't time now. You need to trust us," he says carefully. "We have to get you out of here before it's too late."

He hurries through the glass door, leaving Cal and me alone on the terrace. The matchmaking agent waits a few moments after his brother disappears into the house before turning back to me.

"It is time to go," he says, not quite meeting my gaze.

"Go where?"

His eyes dart about the terrace, his slender fingers tapping restlessly against his leg. "It doesn't matter where, you're in danger. If you can't trust Cupid, then trust me. I'll explain in the car."

I stare at him. "You told me Cupid was dangerous and now you're saying we should just go along with him?" Even as I say it, though, I know it's the right thing to do. Cupid wasn't the one who shot Jack. He's not as bad as Cal has made him out to be—I know it. There's something else going on.

Cal runs his hand through his hair. "Cupid is dangerous, but the Arrows are worse. I trust him when he says they are here— and I believe him that you are in danger. Now please . . ."

He awkwardly extends his hand, beseeching me to take it. I look at the pained vulnerability on his face and my resolve softens. He's never really tried to make physical contact before.

I sigh. "I want an explanation as soon as we get in the car," I say. "And don't worry—we don't have to hold hands."

Relief washes over his face, but there's also embarrassment and . . . hurt?

"Come on, then," he says sharply, dropping his arm.

We rush back into the building and down the winding black staircase to the ground floor. Cal leads me down an unfamiliar hallway.

"The garage is down this way."

We're just reaching the end of the hall when Crystal steps out from a doorway to block us, her face marked with trepidation.

"Cal," she says, holding up her arms, "I know what it looks like but I swear it wasn't me. They were hit by the Capax—both of them. I think the Arrows are here."

Cal frowns then pushes past her into the room she emerged from. Before I can follow, the blond receptionist moves in front of me. Moments later, Cal comes out and grabs my arm.

"Come on, we need to go," he says, pulling me forward.

I look past, trying to get a view of what is inside. "What did you see in there?"

It's then that I hear a familiar male voice.

"I've always liked you," James murmurs softly. "You have to know that."

I tug my way out of Cal's grip and rush back to the doorway, pushing Crystal out of the way. It's dark inside, but as my eyes adjust, I make out two shadows clinging together.

"I like you too," says Charlie, "but what about Lila?"

A wave of nausea consumes me as James moves his face toward hers and his hand skims her cheek. They kiss.

Cal grabs my arm and swirls me around, taking my face in his musician-like hands until I'm forced to look at him. Another wave of screams suddenly sounds from the party along with the whoosh of another stream of arrows.

"It's the Capax, Lila, that's all. Just the Capax."

I can hear the faint sound of a car starting in the garage beyond.

"We need to go. Now."

Then he drags me along the hallway, down some steps, and into the garage. I am too shocked to resist. James and Charlie?

In a blur, Cal bundles me into the back of a cream Aston Martin, then jumps into the passenger seat. Cupid looks once over his shoulder, hands on the steering wheel. He grins, seemingly not picking up on the tension.

"Shall we go, then?"