42 | characterization pt ii

special thanks to mikkiandnackk for allowing me to use this format!!

if you recall waaaaayyy back in chapter 17, i discussed how to keep a character in-character for your story. it's essential to writing a fanfiction because your readers want to read about the characters they fell in love with while watching the show, not some strangers who are unrecognizable. here's a list of the main traits of each MAIN character (i'm not doing minor ones because there would be too many) as well as any physical habits i can think of.

clarke griffin. extremely protective of her people, headstrong, inquisitive, defensive to a fault, cunning, knows how to make people listen to her, stubborn, artistic, can put on different personalities depending on who she's talking to, brave, self-deprecating, focused, level-headed in times of crisis. physical habits include raising one eyebrow, pursing her lips or pulling them into a line, her lip quivering when she's upset/about to cry, and pinching her eyebrows. she tends to stand with her arms crossed and legs shoulder-width apart.

bellamy blake. protective, impulsive, thinks with his heart and not his head, lets his emotions influence him, good with kids, brave, selfless, self-deprecating, mythology nerd, aggressive, older child syndrome. physical traits include crossing his arms, narrowing his eyes, tilting his chin up when he's talking to someone he doesn't like, sniffling/twitching his nose when he's upset, frowning, pinching his eyebrows tightly when he's confused, tilting his head to the side and smirking when he's teasing someone, and clenching his jaw.

octavia blake. impulsive, cunning, fierce, self-confident, adventurous, not people-oriented, observant, violent, quick-learner, brash, outgoing, tends not to think about the long-term consequences of her actions, competitive. physical habits include standing with one leg bent (mostly season 1), ruler-straight posture, tilting her head to the side when she's angry, frowning, narrowing her eyes, and speaking in an emotionless tone as blodreina/skairipa.

john murphy. cunning, sarcastic, resourceful, will do what it takes to survive, observant, witty, apathetic (seasons 1-2), protective over those he cares about, violent, usually inconsistent loyalty, smart-mouthed. physical habits include smirking, twitching his nose, glaring, loose posture, standing with his hands straight down at his sides, rubbing at his nose, frowning, swinging his arms as he walks, and smiling sarcastically.

raven reyes. intelligent, quick-thinker, witty, holds grudges, tends to place the blame on others before herself, protective over her loved ones, stubborn, loyal, creative thinker, problem-solver, quick to anger, sarcastic, loves fiercely. physical habits include pinching her eyebrows when she's angry, sad, or confused, clenching her jaw, veins popping in her forehead in anger, hunching over when she's mad, tilting her head to the side sarcastically, raising her eyebrow, and standing with her weight shifted onto her good leg.

jasper jordan. go-lucky (season 1), protective, outgoing, stumbles over his words, heavy drinker (seasons 3-4), substance abuser, brave, prankster/jokester, quick to anger, moody, sarcastic, witty. physical habits include shifting from foot to foot, squinting sarcastically, smiling without his teeth when he's shy/unsure about something, widening his eyes when he's angry (especially in season 3), and clumsy movements.

monty green. intelligent, kind-hearted, creative thinker, loyal, protective, quiet, usually nonviolent, level-headed, voice of reason, optimistic, the mediator, resourceful, observant. physical habits include raising his eyebrows, pressing his lips together, tensing his body when he's upset, closing his eyes out of annoyance/sadness, and creasing his eyebrows in thought.

abby griffin. cunning, resourceful, intelligent, level-headed (before s5), strong-willed, selfish, reckless (seasons 5&6), stubborn, matter-of-fact, substance abuser. physical habits include shaking hands (result of drug addiction), putting her head in her hands/running her hands through her hair when she's upset/crying, shaking her head when she cries, keeping her face blank when she's in a leadership position, and that's all i can really think of.

marcus kane. loyal, mostly peaceful/nonviolent, stubborn, strong-willed, a natural leader, cold (seasons 1&2), selfless, authoritative, remorseful, self-deprecating, hopeful, logical. physical habits include pinching his eyebrows together and holding out a hand cautiously when speaking to someone who's angry. i really can't think of many other mannerisms oops.

lincoln. loyal, protective, loving, optimistic, hard-working, non-conforming, long-term thinker, creative, selfless, brave, nonviolent but will use force if he has to, observant, kind-hearted, patient, relatively quiet, quick-thinker, level-headed, slow to anger. physical habits include stiff posture and narrowed eyes when he's confused.

finn collins. loyal to a fault, protective to a fault, impulsive, former peacemaker, reckless, playful, protective. physical habits include pinching his eyebrows together, gritting his teeth, clenching his jaw, breathless speech, and moving his eyes around a lot.

i hope this will help you guys! if you can think of other mannerisms/traits for the characters, feel free to add them in the comments because i'm sure there are some i forgot.