Chapter Thirty Four • Kill for her

Warning! This chapter is a LONG one!

-Jade-

"Answer me." Jade demanded them both. The thought of William killing someone for her sake made her feel sick to her stomach. She did not want to be the reason for anyone's death. She also did not want him to do a thing like that.

"He would do anything for you, child." Elizabeth whispered worrying.

"No. No, he would not kill someone just for-"

"He already did it." Elizabeth interrupted her to spare Jade her words and objections. "It is a fact, child. You will have to accept that."

"What? That he killed someone? No!" Jade gasped. "Who did he kill?"

"The woman that tried to kill you." Elizabeth answered with a low voice.

Jade felt a cold shiver go through her body when she remembered the attack. The last she had seen of the woman was when the guards were wrestling her to the floor while William had carried her out in his arms. Jade's eyes dived to the place where William had thrown himself in harm's way just to make sure Jade wouldn't get hurt. He could have gotten killed... and he still did it. She thought and recalled the things William had told her earlier, that he cared and always had. He couldn't have killed her... he cannot be that cold.

Loren cleared his throat, asking permission to speak. Jade turned her eyes towards the guard. He still stood with his hands in front of him but he wasn't as stiff like a moment ago.

"It wasn't the prince's idea to kill her." Loren said and gave his mother a worried look before continuing. Jade felt an instant relief wash over her. "The king was the one who ordered for her to be executed." He said. Jade cocker her head to the side. "The prince only asked for her to be punished... severely." He explained.

"When did you plan on telling me this?" Elizabeth hissed. Loren mumbled something to his mother that Jade could not hear. She felt another shiver go through her body. William's father had issued the execution? Why? It didn't seem like the king to make such a decision - to be honest it sounded more like William to be impulsive and angry enough to do such a thing.

"Why did he not stop it?" Jade whispered in confusion. "Nothing good came out of her death."

"That is not how things are done here, miss." Loren answered. "The king did it because he cannot have unreliable staff in his castle and the prince was... satisfied with the severity of the punishment. It made an example for the rest."

"Making the little one's scared to death..." Elizabeth hissed quietly. Jade understood that she was referring to the other girls in the staff. It made sense to her now. This had to be part of the reason, or the whole reason why no one dared speak to her... It must have been because this.

"It was a warning for any other potential threats." Loren said and it was clear that he did not see anything wrong with it. It was obvious that he saw her execution as a strategic advantage.

"It is barbaric." Jade hissed. "I need to talk to him." She said and went for the door. Loren stood fast and did not let her pass. "Move." She ordered him. Loren slowly shook his head.

"Jade, it is important that you will not rush into things right now." Elizabeth said, trying to calm her down.

"Rush?" Jade repeated. "I am the one rushing? You two dragged me up here to tell me that someone wants to hurt me and that William had someone executed with the blink of an eye, and I am the one rushing?"

"It was the king's decision." Loren reminded her sternly.

"Please, just... give it a day or two and I will see what I can find out." Elizabeth suggested. Jade glanced at her but then moved her gaze back to Loren again.