Chapter twenty three

Chapter twenty-three:

The whole lunch break passed by in talking about the trip to woods. Everyone has agreed to go camping and it seems quite fun but I am not so sure. With all this going on with my life, I don't consider camping fun. I still don't know what's going on. I haven't talked to dad or Rebecca even though they tried calling and texting me a lot of times.

"Hey, what's wrong, Amber?" Wes asks after munching his chocolate granola bar.

"Uh, nothing. I am just a little tired," I say and then shrug. I hear Caleb sighs as he is sitting to my right. All of a sudden, he keeps his hand on my thigh and stops me from the pouncing of my leg.

"Um, sorry," I whisper and he takes his hand away. Disappointment splashes all over me. Caleb soon starts to have a conversation with Charles and Wes while Ellie and Selena are busy talking about the trip.

Woah. I need to pull my game on.

I press my lips shut and look around. Everyone is busy and not paying any attention to me or our table. I sip some water and wipe my hands to the tissue. Slowly, I bring my hands to the hem of Caleb's t-shirt. Gulping hard, I dig my hand in his loose black t-shirt and touch his skin. He takes a sharp breath and takes a pause.

He gulps and tries to pay attention to what Charles was saying. I could see his hair standing upright at my touch. I stifle my laughter. His left hand is clutching his knee tightly as he tries to compose himself.

I smile and take my hand away.

"Is everything okay, Caleb? You seem uncomfortable," Wes asks dumbfoundedly.

"Yeah. I'm fine. What were you saying again?" And so, Wes continues to continue with his rant about something that I don't care about. Feeling bored already, I frown and take out my phone to surf on internet for a while since I am not interested in talking to the girls about some girl who accidentally cracked an egg in her shoe...?

Must be a prank.

Soon, the bell rings and we get up to leave for our lectures. I feel him behind me as we walk out of the canteen. He leans in and whispers, "I'll get back to you, Amber. You won't resist then."

Saying this he walks off to the next lecture while I keep wondering what he will be up to. I'm certainly not good with controlling emotions but, I guess, this will probably be worth it.

°•°•°

Throughout school time, Caleb made no move. Maybe he was planning something bold, soon. Whatever it is, I will be ready 'cause Sloane never loses. She always wins.

But right now, I am standing outside my house. Rebecca and my dad's car is in the garage which means that they both are inside. I haven't seen their faces yesterday.

For today, however, I have to face them since the parent's consent to the trip should be signed by both of them. I didn't wish to go anyway, but Selena and Ellie threatened me that if I don't join them, they won't go either; so, unfortunately, I have no choice.

I unlock the door and walk inside to see both of them sitting on the couch. Rebecca's arms are folded on her chest while dad is bouncing his leg. His eyes meet mine and I am about to run to my room when he calls me out, "We need to talk."

I roll my eyes and walk to the couch.

It is now or never.

I take out the letter from my bag and hand it to my dad. He looks at me with a questioning look and I explain to him about the consent and the trip.

"Sign it," I tell him in a monotone.

"Fine," he says without arguing and signs on the paper. He then passes it to Rebecca and she is about to sign in the mother's section when I stop her.

"You are my guardian. Not my mother," I say through my gritted teeth. She rolls her eyes and signs where I told her to.

Dad is looking at me with a neutral look. "She is your mom, Sloane."

"She is not," I argue.

"She has been there for you since your biological mother left us!" He whisper-yells at me.

"No, dad! Don't you get, she was a good mom only during our good times. Now, that we are having a bad time aka running away from my past, she has been an incredibly cruel bitch!" I yell.

"AMBER!" Rebecca screams. "Don't you dare say that!"

"Why shouldn't I? Isn't that the fucking truth!" I stand up to scream at her. "When was the last time you spent time with me! When was the last time you actually cared for me! When was the last time you cooked well for me willing? I know, Rebecca, I very much know that you loved me like your own daughter until we had to run away.

You both didn't even ask me the truth about what had happened years go. You just believe what Aunt blamed at me! I've been blaming myself like a fool. I know, I did nothing to Reed. Fuck it. Fuck this shit." I take a sharp breath. Both of them are staring at me with shocking expressions.

"Rebecca and dad, please, I beg you. I fucking beg you-" Tears roll down my eyes. "-my life has been complete shit all this time. Please, don't ruin it any more. Let me live my fucking life until Reggie comes. Let him kill me if he finds me. Because I am not going to move from here. Not after having such great friends!"

With tearful eyes, I run to my room. A part of me hoping for Reggie to return and a part of wishing to find Caleb and to tell him the complete truth.

(I really had no time to edit. Please bear with me this time!)

 Please bear with me this time!)