14

Walking out of Martin's apartment, Jessica got a call from Kendall.

"Girl, I just got off the plane and saw your message. What happened, why do you need so much money?" Kendall's voice sounded quite anxious.

"Sam was in a car accident. He's in the hospital right now, and I need 50,000 for the surgery."

At that moment, Jessica's voice could not be hoarser.

"What? Sam was in an accident? Don't panic, where are you? I'll go find you right now."

"I'm at the Rainbow Business Building near Third Ring Road."

"Okay, I'll see you in a bit."

Kendall took a cab and got there in half an hour. She and Jessica found a KFC and sat down.

"Kendall, I really am out of options."

"What did the police say, what about the perpetrator?"

"They're still investigating. According to them, four or five students were hurt. My brother wasn't the only one, and that makes it difficult for the police to deal with. Waiting for compensation takes a long process, and Sam's surgery can't wait. We must get to it as quickly as possible."

"I understand. How about this, I have about 15,000 saved up, you can take it for now. I'll go ask my parents, relatives, and friends to lend me money. I think I can get you around a 20,000. We'll figure out the rest."

"Thank you so much, Kendall." With red eyes, Jessica tightly held Kendall's hand.

"You idiot, we're best friends. You don't have to thank me. If I don't help you now, when would I? Money doesn't matter, what's most important is that Sam is safe and healthy."

Jessica nodded...

"Jess, why don't we ask the media? Once this goes public, we'll be able to gather enough from donations."

Jessica hesitated for a while before replying, "I thought about that too. But, if we alert the media and blow up this incident, Sam will be under a lot of pressure once he recovers and returns to school. I don't want people to look at him with pity, do you understand? He's a boy after all, and is prideful. I want the media to be our last resort."

"Yeah, that's right. I didn't think it all the way through. It's fine, don't worry. We'll think of something."

After she and Kendall parted, Jessica returned to her apartment and washed her face.

Just then, a notification from WeChat popped up...

"Miss Henderson, are you there?" The message was from her high school classmate Jack.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"I heard from Kendall that your brother had a car accident and needs money for the surgery. Is that right?"

"Yes."

"I have money, I can lend it to you."

"Really? Thank you," Jessica excitedly replied.

"Let's meet up and discuss it."

"Sure." Jessica was ready to do anything for Sam.

At 6:30 PM, Jessica met Jack at a Thai restaurant nearby.

He drove a black Mercedes-Benz GLK and was dressed in Armani. In his hand was a LV purse, and on his wrist was a Longines diamond watch. He looked like a spoiled rich kid.

Jessica, on the other hand, was dressed in a white t-shirt and jeans. It was simple yet elegant.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting for long," smiling, Jack asked.