Chapter Seventeen- Escaping the Hospital

Chapter Seventeen

Escaping the Hospital...Again

"You can be as mad as you want." Nathan wrapped his arms around me.

"Mad does not even begin to explain how I feel right now, Nathan."

"You didn't have to come get me."

"You're stuck in a kitchen drinking four-year-old water. Someone had to come save your ass and look one of those things ripped my jacket."

"You were bit?" He examined the shoulder of my coat.

"Yes, but it didn't sink its teeth into me," I said.

"You're lucky." He held onto me again.

"Not as lucky as you," I mumbled.

"Want to leave?" he asked.

"Yeah, we have to go out the side door though, or get to it somehow."

"Why?"

"Meaghan and Liz are out there."

"What?" He cocked his head to the side and arched his eyebrows. "Did you bring the whole squad with you?"

I chuckled and nodded. "They're waiting in the vestibule with my new furry friend."

"Again, what?"

"Meaghan got scare scared and Liz didn't want to leave her alone. We had a rough time getting out here, so they're waiting in the vestibule at the side door," I repeated.

"What furry friend?" he asked.

"She found a damn kitten. She decided to keep it." Taz shook his head at me.

"You found a kitten?"

"Yes. It's really cute."

He closed his eyes and shook his head.

"What?" I asked.

"Only you could leave the comforts of our fort and find a kitten."

"Yes, because a fortified city is oh so comfortable." I rolled my eyes.

"I don't think we're leaving here for a bit." Taz peeked out the window.

"Why?"

"There are a bunch of them gathering outside the door."

"Why do we always get stuck here?" I asked.

"I was fine."

"Four. Year. Old. Water." I looked out the window at the growing crowd.

Taz was right. The once empty hall was filling up with zombies rather quickly. They pawed at the window and door trying to get in. Many of them had the odd looking green skin and swelling as a few of the others I had seen on the way up. They were acting odder than most of the undead I had run across.

"What is wrong with them?" I watched them lumber around. Two bumped into one another and moaned. Their heads lolled to one side and back again.

"They're starving." He climbed on a counter and pushed up on tiles.

"Starving?" Taz questioned.

"How often do you think people are crazy enough to wander into ground zero?" He arched his eyebrows at me.

"I suppose there aren't many psychotic doctors on suicide missions," I said. "What are you doing?"

"Seeing if we can get out of here."

"I'm not going back into any ceilings. I'm sick of this place and ceilings."

"How else do you plan on getting out?" he asked, pushing on of the tiles to the side.