ten

CHAPTER TEN

'the fight'

THE NEXT FEW DAYS FLEW by for Lucy, as she desperately tried to ignore the mounting problems in her life. Between school, avoiding the junkie squad at all costs, studying with Leah, and her hesitant relationship with Quil, she always felt busy. Add into the mix her shiny new work schedule, and voila – 'twas Lucy's chaotic life.

"That'll be five ninety-nine." Imogen was saying at the register, in her sickeningly sweet work voice. Lucy almost scoffed, only refraining from doing so as to not upset the costumer.

Her hands loosely gripped the milk jug as she expertly poured the steamed milk into the coffee cup. She seemed to move automatically as she placed the poured coffee on a plate with a spoon and carried it over to the table by the window.

A polite smile lined her face as she set it down. "Here's your latte, Ms. Turrell." She told the elderly woman. "Enjoy,"

"Thank you dear," The lady said, a kind grin on her wrinkled face. She took a sip, seemingly not affected by the hot temperature and sighed in appreciation. "Nothing better."

Lucy smiled at her once more before making her way around the dining area, stacking used dishes precariously in her hands. She was humming under her breath as she stacked them in the dishwasher and pulled the door up with a bang. Her eyes fell to Imogen, who was seated at one of the chairs behind the counter, phone on her lap, texting rapidly.

"Talking to Penelope?" She asked, plopping down next to her.

Imogen winked cheekily. "Maybe."

Lucy stared across the store, checking to see if everything was alright, before sighing. Today had been her first shift with Imogen, as Doc had deemed her 'trained' and capable of working without his guidance. She could now pick up more shifts, which was great as she had been sneakily paying for her family's groceries for weeks now, despite Joy's warning. Sometimes it surprised her that her family thought she could move here, and all of her problems would be erased.

Sure, La Push helped her immensely – it gave her life back – but those gritty old habits hadn't left. Lucy still worried about money, still stressed about building her savings and was still anxious about staying afloat.

"I still can't believe you didn't drop a mark in bio." The Richardson girl commented, breaking away from her thoughts.

"Don't be so surprised," Imogen cooed, stuffing her phone in her apron. "I'm a good student."

"Good student my ass. You fell asleep yesterday in class." Lucy scoffed; tone unimpressed.

"Only because I was studying biology all night." Was her sugary-sweet reply.