Chapter Seven

The Slammer wasn't exactly the comfiest place to get a full night's rest, and Ben's exhausted expression was proof of that. He was slumped against the wall across from Florence, his tired eyes on her as she sat up from where she was curled next to the wall for warmth.

"How the shuck did you sleep so long?" His voice was heavy with exhaustion, and the girl merely just laughed in reply, unable to give him an answer as she stretched to wake up properly.

It was the morning, and from behind the bars of the Slammer, the start of the working day was partially visible to the locked up pair. Getting up from the floor, Florence dusted herself off and approached the bars to get a better look at everyone moving around the place.

"Have you spoke to Minho yet?" Ben questioned, and the girl stiffened slightly. She recalled her conversation with the boy in question when Ben was busy in the map room, and she didn't really want to have to revisit it.

"Yeah, I spoke to him yesterday. Have you?" He rolled his eyes at her attempt to switch the focus over to him instead of her, and she blushed when she realised she had been caught. Ben ignored her question and pressed her further for information.

"What did he say?" 

It was Florence's turn to roll her eyes, but she chose to sit down beside the boy. She shuffled so one of her legs was stretched out in front of her, and the other was propped up with her arms wrapped around it and her chin resting on her knee.

"He was really disappointed. He said he wanted to run with me."

"Shuck. We kinda messed up huh?" 

The pair laughed, sort of sadly, and Florence hit the boy's arm playfully. The smell of breakfast was wafting towards them and they sat silently, both savouring the scent of bacon hitting them.

"Do you think they'll give us breakfast?"

"No, they're gonna starve us."

They eventually shifted into a position where Florence was leaning against Ben, her cheek pressed against his shoulder. He was chatting away about the most random things, to distract them both from their hunger, but it wasn't working for either of them.

What seemed like hours later - but according to Florence's watch only twenty minutes - Alby was seen approaching the Slammer with two plates of breakfast in his hands.

As soon as Florence saw him, she shot up in her seat and nudged Ben. His eyes widened just as large as hers and they both fell silent, folding their hands in their laps obediently so Alby wouldn't snap at them and impulsively decide to not feed them. He wouldn't be that harsh though, would he?

Alby came into the Slammer to give the pair their food and they took it from him instantly, beginning to wolf it down as though they were fresh-out-of-the-box-Greenies again. Their leader just watched in amusement at the fact they were acting as though they hadn't eaten in days.

"You know," He started as they began to slow their demolishing of their breakfasts. "you two are actually quite lucky. You get to miss a whole day of work. Don't waste it, I say."

And that was all he said before he left.

The girl fell back down with a humph. What were they supposed to do locked up all day? But Alby was right, they were sort of lucky.

"What should we do then?"

The day surprisingly went past in a blur. Ben and Florence did an endless amount of things together; rock-paper-scissors, truth or dare, deciding who was most likely to do things out of everyone in the Glade.