Chapter Four

When she woke, she remembered. He was going to heal them.

Throwing her legs out of bed, she slid off and raced for the door. Would he be gone yet? Would she be left in the dark once more?

Yanking the door open, she took off, hurrying for the stairs. Her nightgown fluttered behind her and for a third of a second, she wondered if Nigel was around.

It didn't matter.

She flew down the stairs and as she turned the corner, she hit a body. Fingers gripped her arms and she looked up. Meeting Draven's eyes, she went weak in the knees in relief before he held her away from him, frowning down at her.

"I'm glad to see that you haven't left yet. I don't like being in the dark about things. And I know who is there and I know that they took Madelyn's blood. Her blood can kill vampires. I was worried that you would leave before I could warn you."

"I'll be sure to tell them."

"They already know. Draven." She stood her ground. "I was warning you."

"Why?"

"I paid you for this. I would be very unhappy should you fail to keep your end of the bargain because you died."

"That wouldn't be very fair of me, would it."

"Hardly."

"How are you doing this?"

"Doing what?"

He waved his hand between them. "How are you talking to me? After what I did."

"Do you care?"

"I'm curious. But there is this. You have no idea the extent of the damage I did to you. You don't know exactly how far past your limit I went. How are you joking with me now?"

"Maybe because I didn't know until right now. It would be wise of you to stop talking about it. Take the little humor I can manage and get what you can from it."

He was silent, as if he really expected her to answer him.

Finally, she once more gave him what he wanted. "Does it matter? Are you feeling shame at your actions? Regret? Anything at all?"

"No."

"Then it doesn't matter. My reasons are my own and are of no concern to you. I would say, just enjoy it, but you can't. Anyway, just... Just be careful out there, okay?" She turned and headed out of the dining room.

"Chevonne."

Glancing back over her shoulder, she met his eyes.

"They are severely injured. I've had your blood and I think we should do this together."

"Those people are looking for me."

"But they will die before they touch you because they don't know about me."

Chevonne smiled.

~~~ 

Streetlights flew by as Draven drove them towards her lovers. She watched out of the window, barely stopping herself from counting them all. They passed close to the place she left the others and she didn't have time for that pain right now. She would let them flay her with words later, which she already knew would cause greater pain then anything Draven could do.

Time sped by. He was talking.

"I know they are looking for you and I know that I can protect you, however, I have a suggestion."

She managed to pull her eyes from the dark scenery and looked at him.

"Let me drink from you. I do what is necessary for them then I hunt. One of them will be able to help you recover."