Chapter 2

It had been approximately two weeks since Naruto's last encounter with Sasuke, and now was a month along his pregnancy. The blonde teen had been pulling on his smile, which was a strained one, whenever he came out of his apartment to face each day. For someone who did not know or had not known of the blonde, he could conclude that the said blonde was simply happy and nothing did bother him. However, those people Naruto was acquainted with could tell the difference between the real smile and the faked one. Naruto's friends and comrades did not notice anything at first glance until they had talked to him. They noted that Naruto had trouble in focusing on some things lately and was a tad bit lonely despite the smiles they were given by him. They had thought it was because Sasuke had left for a long solo mission, which they believed up to the moment, but not the current Hokage.

Tsunade did not have the opportunity to ask Naruto about the child's father he was carrying, seeing that the news of being with a child was a big shock to the blonde that it left her telling the teen to get some rest and come back to the hospital at 9:00 in the morning. Naruto did not appear at the hospital, however, and never did on the following day. Tsunade, worried of Naruto's wellbeing, was about to call her assistant, Shizune, and ordered to get Naruto to force him for a checkup when a knock resounded from the other side of the door to her office.

Sitting on a new swivel chair behind the new desk since the old one was obliterated upon strong impact against the far right wall, which was now repaired, a week prior was Tsunade in her usual glory. She had finished stamping the documents that had the inscriptions of loan, debt bills, contracts, and some promotion letters, which she denied without any hesitation, some time ago and was currently relaxing, stretching her back and arms before leaning forward and intertwined her fingers. She was thinking of what to do with Naruto when she heard a knock. Leaning back and placing her arms onto the armrests of the swivel chair, she informed the person outside her office to enter.

There was a click of a knob that had been turned followed by a creaking sound of the left side of the double doors being pried open ever so slowly. And then, a head with bright, spiky, short, and yellow hair peek in. It surprised Tsunade to see the main object of her concern emerged in warily and closed the door behind.

Naruto took a few steps ahead before stopping in front of the Hokage.

Glancing from head to midsection, Tsunade noted the calm atmosphere around Naruto, whose face devoid of any emotions, leaving a blank expression that one could use when observing a target from afar.

"What is it?" asked Tsunade, breaking the silence that would gradually morphed into tension.

Naruto opened his mouth and took in air through it before he said, "I need a mission." in monotone, but a trace of strain in it could be hear with someone that had a strong sense of hearing.

Tsunade might not hear the crack in Naruto's voice, but she could feel it. With that noted, she said, "You're with a child, Naruto, you should rest yourself. I can tell by the looks of it that you've seen better days."

"Which is why I need one now. I'm not handicapped or anything and I can still do simple things. If can't get one now, I think I'm goin' crazy." Naruto sighed as he closed his eyes briefly whilst rubbing his temple with his dominant hand.

Tsunade furrowed her brows and narrowed her eyes. "Whatever you mean?" she had a vague idea of what was going on with Naruto, but did not push the matter. Rather, she wanted the teen to open up on his own with her, which he did.

"Granny..." Naruto trailed off as he looked at Tsunade pleadingly. "C-can I trust you with...with something?"

Smiling for Naruto was trying to share some of his burden, Tsunade pushed off a little from the backrest of her chair and said, "Of course." to reassure.