Chapter Thirteen: Silver

Callie flipped backwards through the air and landed with a grunt and a cry against the step of the deck that led into the hut. The wood was wet and soft beneath her hands as she tried to push herself to her feet. Soft, yet hard enough to have bruised her, maybe even broken something. She winced and forced down a cry as she made it to her feet and wiped a hand over her face in confusion.

Wolves. They descended on them from all angles, their teeth bared and growls low. She couldn't see the black wolf through the weeds and undergrowth, but she could hear him working his way through the intruders one at a time as their screams shot into the air.

She took a step forwards, then another, until a wolf scrambled out of the undergrowth and came to a stop beside her.

Her uncle.

He had a new gash running down one side, clearly the wolf had got in a lucky hit. She glared at him in accusation. "Transform," she demanded, his wolf eyes narrowed. He refused her.

"You set me up," she spat. "You just wanted me to distract him."

The wolf tilted his head and then slowly transformed into his human form. The man cricked his neck and stretched out his arm, his side torn from rib cage to hip, not that he seemed bothered.

"You got us this far. I knew we couldn't take him on alone. I needed him distracted."

"He could have killed me!"

"But he didn't."

Callie growled, lowly. "Is there even a deed? Or was that just a lie to get me to lead you to him?"

Her uncle flinched in surprise. "No, of course it wasn't. It's true, there is a deed. It's what we need to reclaim the land. But it will be much easier once he's gone."

Callie shook her head in disgust, her wolf whining in protest. She didn't like this either. She remembered a sound that had rung out as the wolf sent her flying.

"You shot him?" she whispered softly.

Her uncle merely shrugged. "We had to have an even playing field."

Callie growled, "this was not the plan."

"No, it wasn't. You were supposed to wait until morning. If I hadn't had people watching you, we never would have known-"

"People... " Callie stopped. She swayed as the world caught up with her. "Wait, so you knew? You knew that Grant tried to..."

Her uncle laughed humourlessly. "I needed to make sure you were strong enough. That you were ready."

Callie's blood went cold. "You sent him to forcefully mate me to see if I was ready?"

Her uncle had the foresight to look slightly repentant, but not enough to stop her cascading anger.

She took a step towards him but the high pitched whine of a wolf stole her anger. Was that the midnight wolf, or one her uncle's creatures?

All she could do was repeat, "this was not the plan."

"If we get the same outcome, does it matter either way?" Her uncle sneered.

Callie looked away. And, as she'd later decide, that move alone may have saved her life. There's no way she'd have seen him otherwise.

She dropped to the floor as the midnight black wolf lunged towards her, his paws skimming over her and slamming into her uncle's chest. Her uncle immediately transformed and they went rolling back into the undergrowth. Looking around, Callie realised that the forest had gone eerily silent.

There were no growls from the invading wolves. Not even any whines in pain.

Had he killed them all?

Another shot ran out and Callie's heart stilled in her chest.

Before she could think about what she was doing, she threw herself into the undergrowth, heading towards the snarling and clashing of claws. Her uncle had the wolf pinned to the ground. The midnight black wolf tore his angry eyes from her uncle to Callie. Two wounds oozed with thick, red blood on his upper chest and Callie's chest hollowed at the sight.

Yet still the wolf fought.

He swiped at her uncle, sending the man skittering backwards away from him, his wolf howling in agony. Another stepped forward, in human form this time. He raised the gun towards the midnight wolf, and Callie knew what would happen next.

It was like time slowed to a trickle as that hand swung in a gentle arc through the air.

She didn't think, just moved.

Callie threw herself forwards into the path of the bullet, swiping out at the man's hand, just as he pulled the trigger.

The bullet thudded into the ground. The gun flying in the opposite direction. The man cursed and fell backwards as her uncle reached his side and began dragging him up by his collar.

Both men's eyes were fixed firmly on something just over Callie's shoulder. But she didn't need to look to know what it was. She could feel it. Feel him. His breath ghosting over her skin, his power buffeting against her spine. Her heart quickened, her breaths short and sharp. Slowly, she turned her head towards him, freezing at the anger and hate in his eyes.

She didn't have time to scream as he jumped towards her, his paws thudding her head into the ground, an awaiting rock caught in the mud, splitting her temple.

As the world faded into darkness, Callie watched from an odd angle as her uncle and his friend ran for the pack perimeter, leaving her behind to the mercy of the midnight wolf.