Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Mitchel was glad he decided not to invite Ellie and Jordan to the movie night; they had been giving him such a hard time about his friendship with Noel. Claiming Mitchel was growing overly attached, avoiding everything else and everyone else, as if Jordan and Ellie thought that Mitchel was becoming dependant on Noel for life. He did not care if they were not going to approve of his spending time with Noel. He liked the boy, he actually became good friends with him because they had a lot more in common than he originally thought. When he really gave the boy a chance, he found that they were the most compatible people of the planet. Mitchel understood Noel so much better than anyone else he had ever known and Noel just let him lean on him when Mitchel needed help. Ellie and Jordan were just jealous that Mitchel had found someone that he may like more than them, that was a better friend than they had been this year.

Now he waited in the semi-lit movie theatre lobby, the sounds of screaming children, families and couples arguing over movie choice and refreshments, cash register chimes and rings as the opened and slammed closed, shuffling feet approaching their cinema, and the sound effects of the video games in the makeshift arcade section off to the side of the lobby, keeping him company. He was beginning to grow impatient, waiting had never been his best attribute, since the first time his dad came home. He had practically ran through the airport gates to get to him faster. Mitchel felt like doing that now, running outside, down the street, and straight to Noel’s house to drag him there faster. But all he could realistically do was sit still, or try, and check his phone every few minutes to see if Noel mentioned he’d be there soon or was close or was still at home. But when he checked he came  up to the same stupid screen background that he got so annoyed with that he had changed three times that night.

Mitchel just wanted to see Noel and have those easy conversations he had had with him before today. Before he came in miserable, his checks stained with dried tears, and before his so called friends gave him hell for hanging out with Noel ‘way too much.’ He wanted to have fun and just relax, but Noel’s insistence on coming later and later was not helping. The movie would start soon. While the tickets were already bought he was not going to go in without his depressed friend. The point of tonight was to cheer him up, if he ever arrived.

Mitchel had decided to be a little childish while waiting for his friend and sit in the car game with his feet on the pretend gas pedal and his hands swinging the plastic wheel hectically. Mitchel even made skidding and crashing noises as he imaged the car on the screen would if he had given up two dollars to start the game.

“Can I play?” A voice asked from behind Mitchel, the familiarity of it causing him to jump in his seat then slump down as all his dead organs regained life and  function. Mitchel turned to see Noel standing there with a little, crooked grin on his face for scaring Mitchel. His face was slightly reddened, the colour on his cheeks darkening as he huffed. Noel straightened his white cotton sweater with top buttons that were only done up until the last two from his neck, exposing his dominate collarbone and  thin lines of his chest muscles. He had a maroon pair of jeans on that drew all the attention of his outfit, even more than his white high top shoes with the thin blue soles that would have grabbed anyone’s attention if he did not have the  pants. “I saw you here and could not resist the urge to sneak up on you. You look good.”

Mitchel looked down to examine the randomly pulled together outfit he had on for their movie night, dark wash jeans that looked almost navy with thin streaks of lighter blues that were barely noticeable sewn in at the thighs and calves, a white polo with pockets over his chest and a thin, cotton beige Harrington style jacket over top. It was not anything special, and he felt awkward thinking how much time Noel must have put into looking his best. That was probably the reason he was late.